Four light conversion

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Four light conversion

Post by tomsheppard »

Could anybody suggest a pair of smaller headlights that would be adequate for a BX? I had the idea of fitting two pairs so I could switch between left and right hand dip and I was wondering if it was feasable.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

AX headlights are a bit smaller, but you still have to remove most of the front of the bonnet to fit two pair in thus stopping air passing over the radiator!! Why do you need to do this?? lots of trips to france planned or something?? If its just for night time driving in this country then you could always try extra fogs??
Have you considered finding a set or motorised lights? the ones that aim the focal point up or down and simply (ish) rotate the mechanism so it adjust left to right (and hope the MOT man doesnt notice!!).
If its just for France driving then pick up a set of LHD lights in France, im told BX's in scrap yards are compulsory, then swap them everytime you come off the ferry/eurostar?
Jon

Post by Jon »

hmmm, sounds tricky.
There is a duel headlamp conversion available for the BX from a company called Morette, but the outer unit is Dip and the inner is main beam.
Be inclined to get a s/hand set of LHD headlamps I suppose, as BX headlamps just push/pull on and off the 3 retainers.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Tom - if you do go with the unit-swapping suggestion, be wary of the glass detaching itself from the light unit. This often happens on older BX headlight units (particularly on diesels as they've had a good dose of vibration) but they can be easily re-seated with new sealant. The time it's most likely to happen? When you pull the light unit out, sending the lens crashing onto the ground below and probably smashing it. I've had this happen twice to me, though only one breakage, so beware!
Anders has had some suggestions for cheap 4-light conversions before now, but I suspect lenses are the main problem, as suggested above.
David
btw, large alsatians seem to be compulsory in French scrapyards too....
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

1: When the French scrap something it is scrap. 2: Swapping units requires them to be set up. The car is used abroad as much as here so I want this on a switch.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

On one of my CXs and also a GSA there was a simple rotational adjustment of the lamp holder to swap over the dip from RH to LH, how this worked bearing in mind the different lens requirementss I don't quite see but it did work, I was never flashed by angry drivers in France but was flashed by UK drivers when I failed to change it back on my return from France. I seem to remember both of these cars seemed to have it as a standard fitting. Any one else know anything about this?
Pete
________
Box Vaporizers
Last edited by ghostrider on 08 Mar 2011, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As David mentions above - I once did a suggestion of using the original light clusters - fitting standard 4" round combi units.
This should be quite easy using a couple of home made brackets - and of course a set of both LHD & RHD combi lens versions.
You then have the option of 4 main beam lamps - and a standard 2 dip for each local national drive requirements.
The total setup would resemble the Morette design - but of course you'd have either the LHD or RHD dip as outer lens units.
Standard 4" units are still around at low cost - used for all kinds of farming & utility vehicles.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

US model BX's had double sealed-beam headlights on each side.
(at least the ones I saw over there).
//NiSk
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Here's another thought, the ZX estate has electricaly lowerable headlights for when there is a load being carried, perhaps this type of thing can be used to swing the headlamp in the horizontal plain instead of the verticle, thus changeing the direction of the beam left to right.
Dave