Turbo whistle. Rear Window

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Turbo whistle. Rear Window

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I have a Xantia TDSX hatch 1993 with 125,000 on the clock. full service history. The question is....Why when doing under 20,000 revs can I hear a whistle coming from my turbo? Does this mean its just being noisy or is it a sign of an up coming problem? [^]
Next, is it just my car or does anyone else have any problems with the rear windows? My windows go down okay but they then seem to seperate from the plastic slider brackets/guide that run up the window channel. Also, the rear driver side window rattles (or something does)when it is fully closed, perhaps from the plastic slider.
Any ideas???
Thanks
Paul.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Paul,
The turbo is working all the time, however, it's not really doing anything useful until the revs get to about 1600, but it really comes into it's own above 2000rpm when the exhaust stream is sufficient to compress the intake air.
It's quite normal for it to 'whistle', however, if it starts to grate, or you can hear air blowing, you have no oil, or an air leak.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Do you know what make of turbo your car has ?
The Garret turbos usually did whistle from new, the KKK ones tend to be quieter.
One of my Dad’s Xantias with a Garrett turbo was noticeably whistly when new, on my Xantia with a KKK at over 130000miles you only notice any turbo noise when the windows are open and the sound is being reflected back by something like a wall or a bridge.
Nick
ps I think you mean 2000 revs, but if you really do take it up to 20000 revs its no wonder the turbo is noisy [;)]
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Anyone any ideas about the window rattle???
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, you could always take the trim panel off the door, and twiddle the window around a little. I don't think there are many 'window' experts around here. Ask them something complicated like sphere designations, or valve clearances, and they'd tell you without even breaking into a sweat !!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Paul -
Sure it's the window that rattles ?
It's VERY common that the whole door can make annoying rattles on it's lock poster.
This can be corrected by either adjusting the poster - or in case of the anti-rattle nylon ring on the poster being worn out - replacing the poster.
Even a couple of windings of insulation tape round the poster may solve the problem for long.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Finding trim rattles is often tedious and confucing. I would have thought it unlikely that the window glass was rattling but ifyou think it is, try putting wedges made of folded card or paper in between the bits you think are loose and see if it makes any difference.
I would have thought it more likely the door seals have shrunk with age and the door striker needs moving a little to restore tension.
jeremy