Alarm muted and not armed still goes off

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Alarm muted and not armed still goes off

Post by Deanxm »

as titled on my N reg Xantia, the switch in the scuttle panel is turned to off as whenever i disconnected the battery the alarm would sound, the car is never locked but still every morning and every evening the alarm is chirping in a very hushed (like a whisper, literaly) way.
I lock it and unlock and that shuts it up but this evening no matter how much i lock and unlock it it wont silence the siren.

I should say the lights arent flashing, and the tell tale on the dash is off as the car isnt locked so why is the damn alrm buzzing?

Any suggestions? can i taer the whole damn alarm system out?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hmmm.... I wonder if the siren has a backup battery in it.
As I had a similar problem with our old vauxhall astra when the backup battery was failing. On that I just removed the power sounder (this was the part with the battery backup in it), I had to do a set sequence that I can't remember now so as to not lock the immobilser.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
stedmancinques
My Cars:

Post by stedmancinques »

Try disconnecting the battery and leaving it disconnected for at least half an hour- I left mine off overnight, after I had trouble with random triggerings. This was after advice from a very experienced independent Citroen mechanic. Haven't had any trouble since, apparently it resets everything back to original factory settings. I assume you have your radio code, Cheers.
1964 DS 19
1973 Ami 8
1982 GSA Break
1981 GSA C-matic
1997 Xantia Auto
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Thanks gents but the alarm itself isnt going off, thats the thing, its just the siren squeeking, i can have the car running while it does it.
Ive had the battery off for around a week and only put it back on last weekend.
If there is indeed a battery backup its not that good, only runs the siren for around 10seconds then it dies off into a wooo wooo wooo wooo woooooooo woooooooooo pip pip pip pip , at the moment its doing the pip pip pip bit like its out of power but the car battery is a1.

What i really dont get is the alarm isnt turned on, the car is unlocked :?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats about what my freinds Vau***l did before with disconected the sounder and chucked it away,

i belive it will be a rechargable battery that has died,

as above there is a sequence at least on that car there was,

regards malcolm
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

do you think i could just unplug the whole sounder?
i have an immobiliser keypad so it should still start if the codes right shouldnt it?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote:do you think i could just unplug the whole sounder?
i have an immobiliser keypad so it should still start if the codes right shouldnt it?

D
Yep, this should work Dean. The keypad and alarm are totally separate things on the MK1. The Alarm ECU is down by the passengers B pillar and if you pull both plugs on it the alarm will be totally dissed. Inm fact this is a good test,as if the siren keeps squeaking you know it's the siren then. the car will still run with the alarm ECU totally disconnected but you'll find a strange side-effect - no interior lights. It also controls the dim-down function...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I wish I could find something to control my dim down function :(
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Alarm muted and not armed still goes off

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Just used the info on this post to unplug my alarm ECU on my MK1 Xantia 1.9TD. I will get a new battery when the rest of the jobs are sorted out for the MOT. For now I am working around a pretty discharged battery, requiring jump starts and central locking, plip sorting out, correct alarm activtion being down the priority list it is nice to know that the good old MK1 starts and runs without this bit being plugged in :) .

thanks

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey