Steering wheel controls + Aftermarket stereo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Steering wheel controls + Aftermarket stereo

Post by Fox »

Hiya,
I have a Sony CDX-M670 and an Autoleads Smartlead fitted to my Xantia which gives me use of the wheel mounted controls.
I'm considering a Xsara VTR, and was wondering if I could use the same lead in the Xsara?
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

A qualified yes, I suspect!
If the Xsara has the controls arranged in the same way as the Xantia then it should be OK.
Our Xsara has 4 'pairs' of controls, and from memories of my sister's Xantia is much the same layout?
It may depend on the era of your intended Xsara - not sure if the multiplexed cars have different stereo wiring?
I guess there's no harm pulling the unit out of your Xantia since your obviously planning on keeping the stereo and see if it works. The worst that could happen is the buttons don't do the expected functions!
Adrian
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I understand the Xsara mark 1 has 2 different radios. The change in design came around Sept 1999. I have an autolead for the newer mark 1 Xsara. Not much use now I have a C5 though!!
Ben
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

For info, our December 1999 V plate Xsara VTS has a Philips tape/radio unit and a 6 disc CD changer in the boot - from memory only the CD changer is branded! Our car was built some time earlier than Dec '99 so is probably the 'earlier' design. The only other VTS I see regularly is John Witty's which is an earlier V plate than ours and has the same unit, so makes sense. I suspect the switch occured with the introduction of the multiplex wiring?
Cheers
Adrian