problem with lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doobryfirkin

problem with lights

Post by doobryfirkin »

hi
im new to this forum so i do not know if this topic has been put up before, i own a 1997 xantia 2.0L auto estate my MOT is due and i had 3 bulbs out one on the tailgate drivers side, the passenger side brake light and the passenger wing indicater i replaced all 3 now when i indicate to turn left all the lights flash on the rear of the car and the small bulbs on the headlights when i put my lights on all the indicater lights on the left stay on if i put my hazzards on thay do not flash i have checked the bulbs replaced them made sure thay are in the right way replaced the relays checked the 2 earth points at the rear and checked all fuses can anyone help please :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tony
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo Tony, is it possible for you to edit your post, so it is easy to read, rather than being a huge stream of consciousness? I lost the will to live, halfway through reading it. :shock:

Or is this just spam? :roll:

Handyman
doobryfirkin

Post by doobryfirkin »

i did not think 4 lines was excessive but if did not tell you what the problem was and what i have tried how are you supposed to know

Tony
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo Tony, I've reread this a few times now and there still seems to be a few confusing elements in your script.

I do not wish to appear rude, but do you know how to use a little punctuation? It would make it easier for some of us to comprehend what you are asking and thereby offer a solution to your problem or steer you in the right direction.

From what I can gather, it looks like you have a misconnection or a short in the wiring. Any of the magic smoke eminating from the indicator stalk or around the steering wheel boss? Looks like you need to test for insulation and continuity. Be careful, wiring harnesses burn very easily. :shock:

Handyman
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Brake light bulb is in the wrong way round or is the wrong type.
Richard W
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: problem with lights

Post by Xaccers »

Firstly :welc:

I've hopefully clarified your first post:
doobryfirkin wrote: I'm new to this forum so I do not know if this topic has been put up before.
I own a 1997 Xantia 2.0L auto estate and my MOT is due.
I had 3 bulbs out, one on the tailgate drivers side, the passenger side brake light and the passenger wing indicater.
I replaced all 3 and now when I indicate to turn left, all the lights flash on the rear of the car as well as the small bulbs on the headlights*.
When I put my lights on, all the indicater lights on the left stay on, bit if I put my hazzards on they do not flash.
I have checked the bulbs and replaced them, made sure thay are in the right way, replaced the relays, checked the 2 earth points at the rear and checked all fuses.
Can anyone help please?

:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

*Doobry, can you confirm that I've got that correct; when you indicate left all the lights at the rear and the small lights at the front flash?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Thanks Xac :wink:.
I have read the message from the beginning to the end, from your "clarified version" :).
It makes such a big difference.

Could it be because of:
1. Wrong bulb type, as RichardW suggested,
2. Indicator stalk.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The estate is well-know to have an issue with the tailgate wiring. The wires passing through the rubber concertinas up by the hinges are a bit on the short side and over time the wires can stretch, break and crack their insulation, leading to short circuits and the "funnies you describe.

My first test would be to disconnect all the rear lights at the sockets on the bulb carriers to see if the problem continues. If it then clears, the faults is in the bulb carriers. If it is the same, an investigation of the tailgate wiring is called for. Sadly, there's no easy way of disconnecting it all.

If it will help, I can offer you comprehensive wiring and harness diagrams but I'll need to know if your car is a MK1 or a MK2. 1997 might be either...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
doobryfirkin

Post by doobryfirkin »

problem found and fixed, a wire on the rh brake indicater cluster was worn and shorting out.
thanks for all the help on the car side and on the grammer side

Tony :roll:
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

What a result! Great stuff.

Least with the original post you didn't stay stuck in caps lock!!!! :?

Andrew
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

And a nice cheap solution - always a bonus :D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
doobryfirkin

Post by doobryfirkin »

MoT on friday fingers crossed she will pass

Tony
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

doobryfirkin wrote:MoT on friday fingers crossed she will pass

Tony
If she doesn't, we'll be here ready to help :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
doobryfirkin

Post by doobryfirkin »

:yeah: :clap: \:D/ :bd: she passed with only a advisery to check the rear brakes WOOOHOOO

Tony