C5 Series 3 ? Excessive Tyre wear help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deecee29

C5 Series 3 ? Excessive Tyre wear help needed

Post by deecee29 »

Have a 59 plate C5 exclussive 2.0L HDi with the Hydro suspension, just had it serviced at 12000 miles and been toldby a Citroen dealer that the front tyres need replacing as they have 5mm on the inside of the wheel an 1.6 on the outside. The car is driven no differently from any other i have had and i normally get between 18-24000 out of the fronts.

The car has 245/40ZR19, 98Y tyres which arent bloody cheap. My company specified tyre replacement centre is happy to state that the geometry is out as the wear is so exessive.

My questions
Has anyone else suffered this
Does anyone know wher i can get the geometry settings for this vehicle
Any advice on what i do next> other than change the tyres?

Dave
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

To remove the alignment doubt have it 4 wheel laser checked, they will have a database for the factory settings to compare against the vehicle being tested, in real time.

If alignment is ok then it's unsuitable tyres, pressures or driving style.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

It needs alignment adjustment, I guess front tyres are like //-----\\
(Check also suspension ball joints)

Over inflation --> center wear
under inflation --> both inner & outer sides wear
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Classic excessive toe in symptoms.
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

I have an '08 C5 2.0 Hdi Tourer SX and have done 25k miles.
The fronts where changed at 17.5k miles and I can't remember there being a problem with uneven wear.

The rears where changed at 24k and I thought I had problem with uneven wear same as yours, outer edge worn whilst inner edge not as much and I went back to Citroen for a check. Turned out it was only about 1.0 to 1.5 ml difference and I didn,t put up an argument.

My car uses 225/60 16 and Michelins are £170 each. For the rears I opted for Barum Barvaris and am quite happy with them so far. They are about half the price of Michelin.

Got to say that my other Citroens have been much easier on tyres than this one but this is the first one that has used the Primacy tyre which is a sportier tyre than the Michelin Energy.

regards

Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
Previous Citroens:-
05 C5 Facelift VTR 2.0Hdi
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

My 09 C5 Exclusive is due its 3rd set of tyres on the front and only have 31K miles done :( . Mind you the back ones are pretty near the limit too. So looks like anyone buying on of these cars need to consider the cost of a set of front tyres every 15K miles - mine has the Michelin Primacy 225 55 17s too.

Brian

09 C5 Exclusive Hdi
deecee29

Post by deecee29 »

Cheers guys,

Had it checked on a 4 wheel laser thingy at the weekend, both fronts out by .6 but advised this is not enough to cause the wear issues.

Its now being checked again in 1000 miles then in 3000 to see if the wear pattern is the same, am a little peeved as ive had various new cars for the last 12 years most with large 18/19 inch wheels and never had this issue with any of them, but it is the first ive had with the Citroen Suspension so not sure if i have to change my driving style to suit this.

TBH this has taken the shine off of what is a good car and it looks like it may well be swapped earlier than the normal 2 year cycle, pity really but cant justify the cost of 2 sets of tyres a year when the norm is once and at a much more reasonable cost..
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Citroen suspension should make the tyres last longer as self leveling means that once the tracking is set it stays in track regardless of load, I get 30k out of the fronts on the XMs

Peter