Wheel bearing only lasted 2000 miles!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xsarahdi

Wheel bearing only lasted 2000 miles!!

Post by Xsarahdi »

I just wondered what you guys think of this.

Our Xsara had its nearside wheel bearing replaced ealier this year, April.

The car was due an MOT so it was taken to the local garage who does a pre test and then takes it elsewhere for its MOT (He doesn't do MOT's). I checked online to see whether it had passed (it had with no advisories) and then rang up to see if it was ready. He confirmed that it had passed but said he was waiting for a part to do a job AFTER it had passed. I asked what he was doing and he said the nearside front wheel bearing needed changing. I assumed he was in the middle of the job so just let him finish.

You can imagine the shock when it was only done around 2000 miles ago (haven't used the car much). I had prievously had it changed because it was making a noise but since it was changed I HAVEN'T heard any noise from it.

Apparently it had let water in but the car hasn't been driven through any deep water so surely water just from the road can't get in?

So how can it have gone and need changing again when it seemed perfectly normal and just passed an MOT?

Was it still OK and the mechanic was talking rubbish? Was it a duff part fitted 2000 miles ago? Had he fitted it correctly?

Any thoughts appreciated.
2005 C3 1.6 HDi 110 VTR
2003 Xsara 2.0 HDi 110 SX
1999 306 1.9 TD Meridian
1996 ZX 1.9 D Elation
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Wow that's a short life for a bearing! I guess there should be a time/mileage limit for guarantee/warranty
and you can ask for a replacement(?).

In mine front right bearing is still original (200k+ miles). I'm lucky :D
Edit: Also both rear wheel bearings 8-)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

something fishy going on here imo, if there was no noise then there was no rust or pitting on the races of the bearing, if there was no rust or pitting then there was no water in there and we all know what that means, there was no truth in what you have been told :(
Bearings make noise when they fail, end of story, if there was no noise there was no issue.why are they doing any work without your concent anyway :?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We've had some short lived wheel bearings on our Picasso - but all have been noisy (NS needs doing again - current one has only lasted 8k miles). I'd be strongly 'suggesting' that I wasn't paying any bill - presumably they did the replacement 2k miles ago?
Richard W
Xsarahdi

Post by Xsarahdi »

I'd be strongly 'suggesting' that I wasn't paying any bill - presumably they did the replacement 2k miles ago?
Too late I already paid. Yes they did the replacement last time.
why are they doing any work without your concent anyway
Good question. I have never really had to have anything done (that was not an MOT requirement without asking) in the last 15 years I have been going there.
2005 C3 1.6 HDi 110 VTR
2003 Xsara 2.0 HDi 110 SX
1999 306 1.9 TD Meridian
1996 ZX 1.9 D Elation
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

I would ask to see the old bearing so that you can judge for yourself, i normally ask to see all the old parts taken off any of my cars to ensure that the garage isn't trying to rip me off, i always tell them this before they do any work so that way they know not to bother trying it on.
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
willy
My Cars:

Post by willy »

I agree with the comments above. Although water can be bad for roller elements and races long term the effects of corrosion from surface pitting will only be known if it is making a noise or you strip it down.

Water can lead to emulsification of the grease and grease ejection but again unless they specifically stated this I would think they are either making it up or have suddenly become over sensitive about water near a bearing.

I was told my rear wheel bearing had failed and seized on my last MOT. I said that I would replace it so took the car away.

I jacked the car up and spun the wheel and I could hear a rubbing noise. So I took the break drum off and then spun again and the bearing rotation was silent and smooth with lots of clean grease present. I didn't change the bearing just cleaned up the brake drum and it passed the retest.

If a bearing has been fitted properly and all seals were in tact there is very little chance it would fail in 2000 miles.

Willy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Agree to from me.

I could see the bearing failing in a short time if the mechanic in question used 'questionable' methods during the installation of the new bearing, say by using a big hammer and violence rather than a hydraulic press.

Otherwise, unless there was a manufacturing fault it's hard to see otherwise how a bearing could fail in that time whilst giving no symptoms...

It all sounds very odd...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...