205D electrics puzzle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

woodhead722

205D electrics puzzle

Post by woodhead722 »

Recently the following happened: -
Engine running OK, battery light started to glow slightly, no indicators working, lights & horn OK. Engine continued no problems.
When footbrake used, battery light glowed full, and fuel guage zeroed, until pedal released. Then continued to glow slightly.
Had brake lights checked at home, still with engine running, no brake lights at all. Alternator spinning OK.
Thought for 30 secs and then everything OK !!!!!!! Did nothing to 'cure'.
Only second time ever happened in about 2 weeks.
Next time where do I start, assuming it lets me get the tools out first!! <b></b>THANKS
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

This happens frequently now, but obviously would never occur near an auto 'tricians.
It is cured by pulling over, switching off, and restarting engine.
Any ideas please?
AndyGimpy
My Cars:

Post by AndyGimpy »

This is a puzzle. It definatly sounds as iyou have a shorting problem. Check all your earth connections and the condition of your bulbs, any corrosion may cause a shorting and back feed. The other areas to check are the ignition switch could be playing up or the votage regulator on the rear of the alternator is also on its way out, Electrics are always a nightmare to find the fault on so a good multi meter and a few cans to keep you going should help on the way (Remember dont drink and drive)
Good Luck
Andy
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Hi there, first must say Ive got my own problems with electrics but Ive also had to sort out brake, indicator, headlight, wiper and screen wash problems.
They were all on and off and ended up being corrotion problems.
I imagine your cars a few years old (mine is J92) so its suprizing how corrided contacts can get and how a minute amount can cause problems (some contacts touch together at one small point and it only needs to be there).
I found the best way is the be methodical, get a haynes manual youll need two actually - 205 for the lights, and a peugeot deisel engine one for the starting stuff. You can just photocopy the electrics diagrams in your local library. Then follow each curcuit (the wire ends have numbers that match the diagrams) clean each contact along the way. I use a small pointy metal file, bits of wet and dry, then but a bit of vaseline over to finish. Also draw you're own little doddles of the wires and there numbers, it helps to get it in your head whats going on.
Clean the bottom of your bulbs and around the housing (clean the glass with meths if you touch it or they'll pop). Also find all the earthing point on the car theres two main ones either side of the radiator. Take them apart clean em till there gleaming again.
In the end I had to do every thing I saw just to make sure every thing was covered, had learn the hard way, do it while its sunny.
hope it works.
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Thanks gentlemen, I'll try your advice.
However the REAL puzzle is switch of engine......restart......problem solved!!!!!!