Towing Temperature 1.9 TD Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete.fair

Towing Temperature 1.9 TD Xantia

Post by pete.fair »

When not towing the needle on the temperature gauge hover around the 80 mark, half way between hot & cold, when going up hill it increases slightly and briefly to just under 90. My question is what is normal when towing, especially when going up a hill. Any helpwill be appreciated
Peter
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Pete,
I've towed a horse trailer for many years and the past three with our Xantia TD. In cool conditions and with a gentle local run the temperature isn't much affected from the figures you mention....my car runs in that range when unladen.
On a longer run and pushing the speed/load a little the most I've seen is 95deg on the gauge...soon reduced below 90 by easing off on the inclines.
David
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I tow with a 2.1 Xantia and the temperature gauge does rise when climbing hills. I should add that most of my towing is done on the Continent. But more to the point, if you hear the fans switch in when the needle rises, and it doesn't continue rising, and quickly returns to normal on the downward slope, then you've nothing to worry about. Naturally, a smaller engine coupled to a heavy caravan is going to generate more heat.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

I'll second what JohnD says but with regard to a 1.9TD and a 2.0HDi. The temp is higher when towing but does settle at the higher figure if you maintain a constant speed/rate of climb. I would only worry if it keeps going higher and higher and the fans don't come on. Like John, our towing has been mainly on the continent in temps up to 35 deg but we have never had to stop or had a warning light come on. High 90s is the highest the temp goes.