Brake Light Switch/Pedal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

Brake Light Switch/Pedal

Post by Ross »

Morning all - I have a Xantia 1.9td (94) which has lost both brake lights - the bulbs are ok - so assume its the awitch on the pedal - rang dealers and its part of the brake pedal at £55 - is it correct that I have to buy the pedal as well ? or is there an alternative

Thanks
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

No thats not correct and a load of useual stealer ballls!

Its bolted on to the pedal by one 10mm nut at the rear, the cable then runs up the pedal to a plug just above the knee trim.

Unfortunally, I dont think I have any spare at the moment..Something I did always for get to keep!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Picking up on what Paul said, it would be worth checking the cable and the plug are still intact and connected. I'd pull the plug and fit a temporary jump lead across the plug/socket, to check that the brake lamps are then working OK
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If your test lead to the switch being at at fault, although this is incredibly unusual, you can crack the switch open and sort out the contacts. It's a bit of a tedious job but as long as you're careful and don't starin the clips, you'll be fine. Mind the big springs...

Inside. you'll find a couple of brass "springs" with a heavy contact set on the end.

Owners of Xantias with Cruise Control often have to sort the brake swich out...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...