406 hdi non starter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boeingmech

406 hdi non starter

Post by boeingmech »

Hi, X reg 406 hdi 110, 150,000 miles. Car has been great but today I drove to work and the exhaust started blowing on the front box so I bodged it up ready for the trip home, end of shift and first turn of key and it coughed and that was it, the engine turns over, all dash lights go out when it is turning over but there,s not hint of it catching. I,m sure the blown exhaust is just coincidence but any pointers much appreciated.
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

It could be timing belt failure, it is fairly common for a worn out belt to fail on startup, i think maybe the exhaust 'thing' was just a coincidence.
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

the belt wouldn't be my first guess as it,s only got about 35k life on it, and the engine turns over OK on the starter, I am hoping it,s fuel system sensor or something like that
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

A failed belt is still my 1st thought, the engine would still turn over but with the camshaft remaining stationary.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If the cambelt has gone it will just whirr when cranking rather than the 'normal' sound.

My guess would be the LP pump has gone on holiday. Can you hear it priming when you turn the ignition on? If not, then give the bottom of the fuel tank a thump as the ignition is turned on, and again a few times while trying to crank it.
Richard W
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

boeingmech, does it now sound different when its cranking over?
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

Thank,s for the replys. As the car is stuck at work I will not be able to try the suggestions untill later this afternoon, will keep you posted
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

it could be any number of things
cam position sensor
tank lift pump
high pressure pump
immobiliser fault
power relay
blown fuse for ECU
obvious thing to check is that the ECU is actually powering up
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

Ok, I have had the nice RAC man out to give me a tow home and his investigations point to the LP fuel pump in the tank, so it,s off to GSF in the morning to hand over me hard earned cash, will let you know what happens
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

RichardW wrote:My guess would be the LP pump has gone on holiday. Can you hear it priming when you turn the ignition on? If not, then give the bottom of the fuel tank a thump as the ignition is turned on, and again a few times while trying to crank it.
Spot on diagnosis......... :D
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

the thing i found interesting is he held onto the fuel filter whilst i turned the ignition on to feel for fuel pressure and there was none,(must remember that one) lifted the back seat lifted the rubber gromet and whacked the pump,no joy, tested the wiring for power that was ok and checked the inertia switch everything points to pump
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The LP side runs at about 3 bar, and the filter is plastic - by all accounts the filter can been seen / felt to visibly swell when the pump primes :shock:
Richard W
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

Sorted, :D £100 from gsf :( runs a treat now. next job get the exhaust fixed :wink: