I am so flabbergasted at no oil in the engine.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I am so flabbergasted at no oil in the engine.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I have a fairly idle friend who fortunately doesnt frequent this website.
he pulled up in my driveway at 3 'o'clock today and said my warnning lights light up every time I go around a sharp corner.

Now being an xantia estate (1.8 petrol) I toyed with the height adjuster to see what the LHM level was like lifting the lid the LHM resoviour has been
well and truly over filled.

after letting the engine cool for 3/4 of an hour I lifted the oil dipstick which is devoid of engine oil.

Now considering he drove to hemel hempsted two days ago to collect a friend on holiday down here in Kettering for a week I would say he is a very lucky citroen owner.

I virtually ordered him out of my home to the nearest autofactors to get a 5 litr bottle of oil. apparently in the five years owned this car he hasnt had the cambelt replaced at all and that worries me because it has a distinct belt ticking sound comming from the cambelt casing
he has never replaced the oil filter, air filter or fuel filter, his car will go bang very soon if he doesnt start to look after it.

he has left me very angry because we spent ages looking for an xantia estate for him as they seem to be getting quote rare these days.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Some people are like this though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

To some folks, it's just a car....
colski
My Cars:

Post by colski »

My sister is a bit like this, never checks her oil, tyres, coolant etc etc, but seems to never have one single problem!

I check everything every week and take pride in my cars, but always have something go wrong :lol: :lol:
spider

Post by spider »

:D

Some people do get away with it though. :)

And some do not. Luck of the draw, but if they do have problems then they cannot complain, its money they "saved" by not checking / servicing, although in most cases the accumulative servicing costs are less than the result "repair" for said neglect.

To coin a phrase: "Oil is cheap and engine's aren't'"

I can recall tales of broken cambelts as owners did not want to spend money replacing them, only to end up with a 4 figure bill for a head.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: Some people do get away with it though. :)
My lad didn't. When he first started driving he ran a Fiesta which used a bit of oil. He went to uni and never checked the oil.

he came home one day and complained the oil light was coming on going around corners. His sump was nearly empty. By them there was a very slight knock.

I refilled the sump and he went back to uni. The next weekend the car went bang in a big way at 70mph after a big end went and sent a conrod through the block...

You might think you've got away with it but be sure it'll catch up with you sooner or later...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
You might think you've got away with it but be sure it'll catch up with you sooner or later...
Isnt that the new HMRC slogan?
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

It always astounds me how people get away with it, but to many it is just a car that will be disposed of anyway so oil changes or no oil changes it makes no odds.
Its only because we care that we actually maintain them!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

People who dont check their cars over regularly should not be allowed to have a car, owning and driving a car is a big responsibility, if its not road worthy then its only the driver to blame.

Frequent checks on simple things like oil, coolant level, tyre condition and pressure costs nothing, apart from 5 minutes of your time.

Oil changes should never be neglected, while this might save you money someone would have to be stupid to buy the car from you. As the neglect will catch up with the car at some stage.

I know people who never bother with checking anything on their cars or getting them serviced. They have under inflated tyres, no tread, engine sounds like a bag of bolts, bulbs out etc. If they were involved in or caused an accident, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but there is just no telling some people, they don't and never will care.

One reason I almost always drive where ever I go, is because i trust my car and rarely other peoples, unless i know the car.

People who dont bother with basic maintenance deserve the financial outlay and inconvenience of major repairs. :twisted: As long as no one is injured due to their stupidity.

I was in my local MOT place a while ago, a 2003 Mondeo petrol came in for a MOT, the engine was clattering like crazy. After the car had sat for a while they checked the dipstick, not a trace of oil. Mind, some people are so naive they think an MOT is a service.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Lol, and some people think a service is a service....

Looking at the list of what is actually done during these "services" it looks the same as an MOT, check lights work, check car is a car. etc
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

True, but where is the change engine oil and filter on the MOT ...

Im glad the 2 year MOT seems to have been forgotten now, or we would have even more death traps on the roads. :shock:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
spider

Post by spider »

I think they should be done every year even for newer cars, as the state of some three year old cars (tyres etc) has to be seen to be believed :(
Andy.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

We have similar exemptions for newer cars here, with similar results on abused or high mileage examples...

As to the OP, if someone demonstrably doesn't respect what you've done for them, why consider them a friend?
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

A guy at work has been putting off servicing his Skoda (PD engine fitted). Despite various warnings about the dangers of not servicing such a complex piece of kit he still hasn't done it, he could even do it himself if he wanted but I guess it hasn't sunk in how much more uncomfortable paying out hundreds (maybe more) is than 2 hours in the cold.

Steve.
not applicable
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

"I just wanted to get down the shops before they closed."

Catastrophic failure descriptions so often seem to include the j-word...