Maybe I shouldn't care about this noise (Xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Maybe I shouldn't care about this noise (Xantia)

Post by rmunns »

You will remember I've posted a query about a droning noise from my 90Hdi Xantia which no-one has been able to pin down. In fact, I've asked several times.

Symptoms: a steady-pitch noise (does not vary with engine speed and is also present when stationary, so not related to wheel bearings etc). This noise is just like a fan.

I have several times checked the rad. fans and they are definitely not running when the noise is present. The noise comes on while driving, but it is really only audible when ticking over (at lights, for example).

Today, in exasperation, when I completed my journey I turned off ignition and then immediately turned it on again. Engine did not fire up, but noise was there, for about 5 seconds before it cut off.

So I am now happy that the noise is not engine-related, but it would still be nice to know what it is.....................................
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've heard a vaguely similar noise on an HDi that was caused by an air leak in the fuel filter housing. The air leak made a noise not unlike you describe. It would occur too when your noise does.

Try a new housing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Could it be a noisy lift pump ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I've previously postulated that it is the fuel filter, but that was dismissed. However, the fact that it comes back on after the ignition is turned on for the exact time that the LP pump runs does rather tend to lend credence to the idea. I had a similar noise on mine before I had to change the fuel filter complete as it was leaking.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:However, the fact that it comes back on after the ignition is turned on for the exact time that the LP pump runs does rather tend to lend credence to the idea.
Absolutely, that was the clincher for me, especially after hearing it on another HDi under the exact same circumstance. It's a funny old noise and indeed can be described as fan-like...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

sounds very much like the cambelt tensioner spring worn out to me this gives off a dronning sound at idle and once you drive off it stops as the cambelt tensioner pulls against it.

if you can locate the spring and press on it hard with two fingers whilst the engine is idling you may find that the dronning noise stops, remove your pressing action and it may well start dronning again. esspecially if you rev the throttle and let the engine continue to idle.

edit ( appolagies didnt see the bit about engine not running and noise still occuring).
it might be worth having the tank filter out and giving it a good clean.
regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: like the cambelt tensioner spring .
Is there one?
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

JohnD wrote:
Is there one?
Nope. It's an eccentric roller. The axillary belt has a spring-loaded tensioner though...

Neither of these items can make a noise if the engine is stopped...
Jim

rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Thanks, all. Particularly to you, RichardW. I will change the filter / canister.

It's not that I didn't believe you, Richard, it's more that I'm loathe to fiddle with things unless its absolutely certain that's where the problem is. Nothing's simple nowadays and it's so easy to get into more difficulties when attempting some jobs.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

CitroJim wrote:
JohnD wrote:
Is there one?
Nope. It's an eccentric roller. The axillary belt has a spring-loaded tensioner though...

Neither of these items can make a noise if the engine is stopped...
appolagies Jim I did mean the aux belt tensioner spring but as you say a bit difficult to see that rattling with the engine stopped the first part of the description above does kind of hint at his though. do the Hdi xantias have a lift pump then because the non-hdi's dont.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

My 406 does this.

It's a strange noise which I put down to the fuel filter. I've bought one a couple of weeks ago but haven't got round to changing it yet.

If I get time I'll try it in the morning before I head to work.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Changing the fuel filter is not too bad - but it is a messy horrible job. Take care with the fuel lines as they are a bit stiff and can be broken. I removed the filter whole, but actually it would be better to proceed as follows:

Undo the drain plug - there should be a hose fitted - if not fit one!
Release the two pipes on the lid (press in the coloured clip, then the pipe should slide off - it might need a gentle lever with a screwdriver)
Wait a good few minutes for some of the diesel to drain off
Rmove the top of the filter (unscrew with 22mm spanner) and the element
Mop out as much diesel as you can
Now proceed to remove the remaining pipes - you may need to pop the filter off its bracket to get the bottom ones off - there's room to get around the back and operate the clip - check the new filter to see how the clip works!
Refit is reverse of removal :lol:
Turn the ignition on 4 or 5 times, leaving it till the LP pump cuts out to prime the filter before trying to start it - you will hear the air gurgling back into the tank.

Note that this may not totally cure the noise - you may need a new LP pump for that. There is a bi metallic strip in the bottom of the filter that directs the fuel to the heater in the thermostat housing when cold. What seems to happen is that this goes a bit baggy over time, and then vibrates sometimes when the pump is running. Changing the pump sometimes stops it (which suggests that a certain flow instability may not be helping), but the final cure always seems to be a new filter unit.

I have certainly not noticed the noise (I would describe it as a low hum, rather like a fridge running) since fitting the new filter unit.
Richard W