Anyone help my Xantia-owning mate? South coast.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Anyone help my Xantia-owning mate? South coast.

Post by citroenesque »

Hi, 'Kermit' has acquired a (1996/7?) Xantia TD with Hydractive but the rear suspension is particularly in need of some fettling. Being thoroughly mechanically minded but not familiar with Hydractive or Xantias, is there someone near Worthing who might be able to help get the car's suspension sorted - (and get it onto a Lexia even?)....
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Sound like a job for.................. CITRONUT
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have a DIS LEXIA but not much knowledge with the mistery's of ACTIVA's,

but im sure with help from the FCF'S very own ACTIVA expert it should be possible to sort,

and im in St Leonards on sea,
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

It'll just be a VSX if it's got 'normal' suspension on a '96 TD Xantia
so not an Activa that needs the Red Adair of Xantiae to intervene Malcolm...

:D

Andrew
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Malcolm, if you PM me your number, Phil Boxall (Kermit) can give you a call. He's in Worthing. He described the problem as:

"it maybe only the computer needs the fault codes clearing and set up again.
I believe the battery was flat for some time prior to me buying it so that could be the reason.
I am clutching at straws here.
Sometimes when i take it out it is perfect then i stop and when i start off again it is as though the suspension is set in high and has no movement."
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sounds like the "Normal" typical Hydractive fault, with either a faulty ECU trough burnt diodes, or the hydractive valve is sticking..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

pm sent

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Spheres first before worrying about hydractive ECUs burning diodes...

Start off with the accumulators, both of them, and the rear corner spheres. carry out basic hydractive checks: Do the hydractive electrovales "sing" when a door is opened and continue to sing for 30s after the door is shut again, stopping with a healthy clunk.

A full test of the Hydractive system is described here: I wrote it long ago for an Activa but the same principles apply..

Start up and allow full hydraulic pressure to be reached on normal height.

First check: Do "Citarobics" and ensure the height lever takes the car smoothly from normal to low, then up to high and back to normal. Stop if it sticks at any height setting, mindful that an Activa is slow to rise and fall and that the Activa rams can make it jerk suddenly at the front when going from low to high. It is essential both height correctors are working as they should. Check the front and rear fall and then rise again if you put weight on the ends of the car by sitting on the tailgate sill and the front slam panel with the bonnet up.

The next thing to do is check the hydractive electrovalves are doing as they should and switching between hard and soft mode correctly. You have two of these, one at the front down by the rad and one high up under the rear subframe. You should be able to hear them humming if you put your ear close. With the engine running, both front and rear should be relatively soft and easy enough to bounce up and down. Stop the engine, making sure all doors are shut, listen for the hum from the electrovalve whilst bouncing the front end of the car. It should still feel soft. After 30 seconds, you should hear a clunk from the hydractive electrovalve as it switches to hard mode and the suspension should stiffen considerably. the front should suddenly feel rock-hard.

Open and shut a door to put the suspension back into soft mode and repeat for the rear. Again, listen for the clunk after 30s and the suspension stiffening. It will not stiffen as markedly as the front but you will feel it stiffen.

If these tests fail, front or rear, you have a duff back-emf supressor diode in your electrovalve. A very common problem that strictly requires replacement of the failed electrovalve but can be cheaply worked around by use of Uncle Bucks magic box. It contains diodes that take the place of the failed ones.The hydractive elctrovalves can suffer corrosion on their plugs as they're in exposed positions.

Note that the hydractive electrovalves when off (no current flowing) set the suspension into hard mode. They switch on (operate) for soft mode. Hence why they switch off 30s after the car is stopped and doors closed to prevent battery drain. When driving, they spend most time switched on to set the suspension soft.

Hope that helps Phil...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Thanks!!!