peugeot valve shims

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

barrydoran

peugeot valve shims

Post by barrydoran »

Does anybody have any shims close to the following sizes.

2.77 mm, 2.73 and 2.70.

the last two are a guess at the moment because I cant even get a 0.04mm feeler guage in the gap.

This will be the second attempt at shimming. I originally bought 4 shims only to find that the gaps must have been negative, i.e. the valve were being held open slightly. I can re-use two of the shims I bought, but need those above.

As I said I'm still in the realm of guess work for one of the clearances as it could still be, being held open slightly. I reduced the shim be 0.15 assuming that the clearance was 0.00 but the 0.04 feeler still wont go in.

Having looked at the top of the bucket I think I may also need to replace this as its very worn. I'll then be into the realm of total guesswork with the shims for that valve.

So Defo need 2.77 mm shim.

2.73 and 2.70 and down would be welcome for experimentation.

Anybody have some?

Thanks.

Barry.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

What engine are you talking about, XUD? The last time I bought shims for one of those they weren't expensive so if no-one pop's up don't be afraid to enquire at a dealer. If I remember I'll have a look through some of the ones I have in stock.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
barrydoran

Post by barrydoran »

Hi, no its a dw8 engine. But I believe the shims are the same as the XUD.

Hi, I have already bought some.. they are 6.75 for two and you must buy two because they come in packs of two of the same size. Hence one is wasted!

The problem I have is that one valve is completely closed up to the extent that I think it is holding the valve open sligthly. Hence I cant determine the exact shim requirement. I know the current shim is 2.88 and I cant get a 0.04 feeler gauage in.

So assuming it was exactly zero clearance I would need a 2.73 shim to give me the required 0.15 clearance.

However, I've already been round this loop once. I initially measured the gap, I couldn't get the 0.04 gauge in. So assumed a clearance of 0. Measured original shim at 3.02 hence new shim of 2.88 should have given a clearance of 0.14. It hasn't I still cant get the 0.04 guage in. Hence the valve was being held open.

The reason I need a selection to experiment to identify the correct size.
plus I'm replacing the bucket on that valve because its now totally grooved because of the lack of clearance.

Barry.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you know or have a local enginering works they can skim shims down in size, as long as they have a magnetic chuck to hold them,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Is that what they cost!! it makes my Peugeot shim kit that I have built up over the years very valuable? Its a very long time since I re-shimed a head but my kit did every XU engine,petrol & diesel. Try finding an engine rebuild business that has shim kits and are prepared to hire them out,my local one does,(clifford cox engineering)
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Barry,

Valve seat recession.

I have successfully ground these shims, just using a suitable sized nut and bolt, and a bench grinder.

Set the shim in the nut recess, wind in the bolt till it's just below the exposed nut surface.
Place on the rotating grinding wheel, (It's good policy to arrange a catchment screen around the work to contain the shim if it escapes from the nut).
Gently screw the bolt into the nut till the shim touches the grinding wheel, then gently rotate the bolt, stopping at intervals to measure the shim.

I normally hold the nut in a locking wrench to act as heat sink.

Place the non ground face of the shim into the bucket.
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
barrydoran

Post by barrydoran »

Thanks for the grinding how to.

I have a selection of shims on the way from somebody on here. I may still need to grind one given the last valve gap is currently an unknown and I'm going to use a new bucket. The wear on the bucket is a visible trough, where as the others had a minor polished disc where the bucket had rotated. The last one had obviously stopped rotating due to no gap.

I hope only the bucket has worn and not the cam also. you would think they would amke one part sacraficial in that set up. I guess I could measure the lobes just to check.

Its done 190,000 miles. do I really want to be buying a new cam. its an '03 plate, so relatively new ( by my standards ). I have had two garages give up on trying to solve the starting problem. If I can fix it I will be very smug, until the cambelt breaks because I get the tension wrong :-D.

please no horror stories in response, I dont want to be dissuaded from doing this. If it starts and runs then i'll just see how it goes for however long it goes for.

Barry.
barrydoran

Post by barrydoran »

My thanks to user CX25GTITURBO who supplied me with the shims I need at a very reasonable price.

The car is neasrly back together, ran out of daylight. Will fire it up in the morning and report back.

Barry.
barrydoran

Post by barrydoran »

Fitted and car started first time.

So if you have hard starting and have ruled out glow plugs, glow plug relay and air in the fuel check your inlet valve clearances are in spec.

Barry.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good news Barry :)