browns gas/ hho with an Hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

browns gas/ hho with an Hdi

Post by c.morewood »

I've been reading about HHO generators in the engine bay producing oxygen and hydrogen which is fed into the air intake and allows the engine to produce more power or use less fuel. In these times of high fuel prices, I was wondering if anyone had tried one of these on an Hdi engine and if it was successful?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HHO-HYDROGEN-GENE ... 3a62068b8f
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I read abut these some time ago but cannot recall where now. The overall conclusion, as I recall, was that they used more energy than the savings made in the slight improvement shown in engine efficiency...

That's as far as I remember..

Fundamentally, if the claims made for any of the so-called fuel savers on the market were genuine then the underlying principles would have been incorporated into production vehicles long ago...

Just my view, not gospel.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I agree, if there's a magic bullet that can be bolted onto any engine to make it burn less fuel, we'd know all about it. That's an uninformed opinion though, so who knows!

I don't know what else you've looked into, but the best way to save fuel is to keep your car well serviced, check the tyre pressures reguarly, and read up on some advanced driving techniques. Changing your driving style will not only mean you burn a lot less fuel, but brakes and tyres will last much longer, and the stress on other components is also reduced a lot. I would estimate that a "normal" driver has the ability to knock 30-40% off their motoring costs doing this alone, and it's a myth that you have to drive more slowely to do so (in fact, you might even get places faster).
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree Jim, you cant bend the basic laws of physics, changing things from one state to another uses energy and it certainly requires more power to make water gas than it will deliver when burnt. Having said that I suppose that its just possible that it could improve combustion thus making the engine more efficient, but as you say if it was that good everyone would be using it.

Peter
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Oh lord don't even get me started on HHO generators, I could probably go on for quite a while.

They're very very good for making lots of money on ebay, and that's about it.

If they did work there'd have to be some very serious reconsideration of the laws of thermodynamics.

I just love how people pushing these commit the sin of on-road testing: they'll drive down the same stretch of road with and without their magical device and any difference in fuel consumption is OF COURSE because of the device and not the countless other things that influence fuel consumption.

Anywho: HHO generators, magnets on the fuel line, vortex generators etc etc etc all money making hoaxes.

http://www.fuelsaving.info/
This chap is pretty good for more information.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

HHO generators and Browns Gas, coming to you from the land of snake oil peddlers, just pure hookum.

There are many things you can do to improve energy efficiency in your car, and as already stated, driving technique is usually the biggest and best improvement, followed closely by regular maintenance. Just checking your tyre pressures once a week and ensuring they are correct will see an immediate improvement.

After that, you need to start spending money to improve on the standards of engineering used in the manufacture of your car. Engine blue-printing can see excellent gains in power, but there is a long pay-back period. Additional modifications cost even more.

Handyman
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Well thats that idea out the window then... Thanks to all who replied.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream