accelerator cable (kit from gsf or original from stealership

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

willy
My Cars:

accelerator cable (kit from gsf or original from stealership

Post by willy »

Morning,

Peugeot 406 1.9 TD 1996 saloon.

I have another post on here so I am being a bit greedy but this problem is I think a side effect of my other problem.

The accelerator cable had seriously frayed near to the little plastic plunger. While I think it is not going to completely snap any minute the fraying stops the accelerator cable returning. This is very scary when it first happened after Christmas.

The kits are very cheap from GSF but people tell me that kits are a pain and it's better by an original from the Peugeot. Has anyone got any experience with the kits?

By the way as a tip to anyone who may be stranded with this situation (as I was with a car that wouldn't start as well) you can use a bungy cord to hook around the accelerator arm and then to somewhere suitable on the car. This helps the cable return and stops the car revving to 4000 revs.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I have ;) but I have not seen a GSF kit, only the dealer ones.

The kits from the dealer are usually also universal.

You get a bag of bits (quite a lot are not needed) , the inner cable has the pedal end fitment on it already, you simply have to fit the rest and trim it down.

Sometimes, if the outer cable is OK you can not change it (there's a risk obviously if its not OK) as its a bit of a pain. The 'spring' box near the air box I usually dispense with as well, or I did.

The end fitment is a bit fiddly to put on, but there's a choice of two from memory in the bag.

Remember to lubricate the new inner cable as you fit it.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

The GSF ones are the same as Dealer ones but cost a lot less.As said they are universal so most of the kit you will not need.Remember to cut the inner cable AFTER its all assembled and fitted.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Dive under the pedal and look at the size of the metal block on the end of the cable.
Head to your local cycle shop and get a bicycle gear cable with the same size metal block for a few quid.
Cut before the frayed bit of the old cable and pull it through the foot well.
Remove the plastic clip form the end and gently push the metal block of the new cable into it all the way.
Feed the end of the cable through the hole in the bulk head.
Get someone to floor the pedal while you pull the throttle arm open fully and secure the cable.
Don't cut the excess length, just wrap it around the throttle arm.
If you haven't already, remove the dampner from the throttle arm too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
willy
My Cars:

Post by willy »

thanks for your replies.

Xac thanks for your detailed reply but you'll have to forgive me but I'm confused. Are you basically saying buy a cheap inner cable with a correct ferrule to fit the foot pedal and then replace the whole of the current cable?

Willy
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Yes, it's much cheaper and does the trick.
Cassy's been running with one for years since the cable she had when I first got her frayed in the plunger and snapped.
The dealer replacement one lasted 3 months, and at £36 I was a bit loath to spend that again, so I headed to the local bike shop and bought a replacement cable for under £4.
Made the mistake of cutting the excess length off which let it fray and slip out of the retaining nut on the throttle arm.
Replaced it again, left it uncut and it's been fine since.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
willy
My Cars:

Post by willy »

Got the kit from GSF. Good quality.

Only issue was that I couldn't see any way of leaving the excess cable as the little ferrule would fit in the throttle arm with any excess cable.

So I am a little concerned the cable may slip out of the retaining ferrule.

Xac how did you manage to leave excess cable on the ferrule thingy?
willy
My Cars:

Post by willy »

no worries now I used loctite super steel on the cable so it shouldn't come loose.
:D