NO WINDSCREEN BLOWER or HRW (XANTIA MK2 1.9TD SX- 1999)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sreid
My Cars:

NO WINDSCREEN BLOWER or HRW (XANTIA MK2 1.9TD SX- 1999)

Post by sreid »

HI
AFTER SPENDING NIGHTS READING THE THREADS FOR MOSTLY MK1 XANTIA,S I HAVE HAD TO REGISTER TO LOG MY FAULTS AND HOPEFULLY BE GIVEN A QUICK WRITE UP THAT IS AVAILABLE TO REPAIR THE MK2. ( I MIGHT ADD MAKES GREAT READING BUT VERY FRUSTRATING)
I CAN SAY THAT I HAVE NOW REMOVED THE PASSENGER CARPET AND ABOUT 4 GALLONS OF WATER AND IF I EVER GET THE BLOWER WORKING SHOULD NOT SUFFER FROM ADDITIONAL STEAMING UP.
SIMPTOMS TO DATE AND FACTS
NO HRW NO SUPPLY AT F5 with ignition ON and engine running.
MK2 RELAY Fitted
F21 SUPPLY AT FUSE HOLDER, BUT NO SUPPLY AT K28 RELAY TERMINAL 3.

IF TEMP SUPPLY IS TAKEN FROM F1 and linked to F5 outgoing, HRW POWERS UP, LIGHT COMES ON DASH.HEATER WORKS (BINGO)
ALSO K28 ENERGISES BUT BECAUSE OF NO SUPPLY FROM F 21 has no impact apart from changing relay contacts (WHICH IF TERMINAL 3 HAD 12v then the blower would power up.

1. I NEED HELP AS I,M UNABLE TO GET THE FUSEBOARD TO OPEN, I HAVE PULLED THE RED TAB BUT NO AMOUNT OF TRYING WILL RELEASE
2. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO LOSE SUPPLY TO F5 (IGNITION?)
3. I HAVE LOST CONTINUITY FROM F21 TO TERMINAL 3 ON K28

SORRY FOR BRINGING UP THIS OLD CHESTNUT BUT NOT A LOT FIXES FOR THE MK2 AND GETTING DRAWINGS PROVING HARD.
S REID
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mr. Reid,

Welcome to the forum...

Here are the circuit diagrams you require:

Circuit Diagram

Harness Diagram

Locations Diagram

All component references (four figure numbers) can be cross-referenced to the tables in the back of the Haynes manual.

Using the harness diagram, you should be able to pinpoint exactly where and in which harness the break has occurred. It is often in the 10PR harness where it runs under the radiator. There are splices in here that get damp (often from rad leaks), corrode and go open circuit. The normal method of repair is to wire in a bypass...

Hope that is of some help...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sounds similar to the problem I had with my MK2 - I only had 3V on the swtiching terminal of the relay above the throttle pedal. No idea why! I just ran in a new swtiched (and fused!) supply from the red wires on the ignition switch under the steering cowls. I suspect there is a joint somewhere that goes high resistance - there was a long thread about similar probs on a MK2 that ended up with finding low voltage at the A/C switch.
Richard W
sreid
My Cars:

Post by sreid »

Jim
Will follow through the wiring circuits, Thanks. Richard anymore details on the alternative wiring mod.MY AC light seems bright.
Stevie

Ps Bumped the front end some time ago,cracked the bumper wonder if that is now biting me. Any idea on how to OPEN the fuse box guys ??
S REID
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

sreid wrote: Any idea on how to OPEN the fuse box guys ??
Yes, it means a dash out job to release the connectors at the back of the fuse box Stevie. That's a BIG job.

There should be no need to get to the back of the fuse box to effect a repair...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I had a simmilar problem on an T plate S2... no heated rear screen.

It turned out to be a break in a MAIN FEED wire from the + Post by the battery to the fusebox in the car!

Theres 2 main feeds, Fat brownish wires, one had a break in it.. So I jumped a feed from theother supply and bingo!

Fine still to this day.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Remove the steering cowls and find the wires coming off the ingition switch - there are 3 sets I think. They ones you want are 2 red wires, terminating in a brown connector - you will find that on the 'car' side of the connector one of the wires looking suspiciously thin - this is because they have taken the load off the switch by fitting the relay. I just scotchlocked a wire onto the switched side of the ignition switch, fitted a blade fuse (just using a couple of spade connectors) and taped it to the to the steering column. Then ran the wire down the back of the dash, and scotchlocked it onto the switching feed to the relay - there was just enough room to wiggle the relay socket out of the board and get the scotchlok on the back. Been running like that for at least 40k now.

The steering cowls will come off on a MK2 without removing the wheel, but I had to bend the tab on bottom of the steering column to get it back on.
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sounds like a guddun Richard

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
sreid
My Cars:

Post by sreid »

Gentlemen
Thanks for the advice ,drawings and encouragement to sort my Xantia. I have replaced the wire from F21 down to terminal 3 which with K28 energised now brings on the blower fan.(I still do not what could have happend as it is only 10 inches of cable behind the dash ?
I have for the short term jumped F1 supply over to F5 which energises K28 and brings on the HRW when activated on the collum switch.
Perhaps in the warmer weather I will do a bit more digging to find the two route causes.
THANKS GUYS one warmer xantia owner.
PS 94,672 only a young gun
S REID
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's excellent news Stevie :D :D
Jim

KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi Mr Reid,

It will be the feed from the ignition switch supply will be the problem but you have made a good alternative and if it is working don't start to fiddling with it again.

I learnt from my mistakes on the Bosch pump another story and long thread on the forum :lol: :!: :evil:

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
sreid
My Cars:

Wet Floor / Heater Matrix

Post by sreid »

Gents
While trying to sort my blower/ hrw problems I also noticed that the floor was wet in the passenger well. I removed the carpets and today now think the water is coming from behind the dash. HEATER MATRIX !!!!!!
I presume.
Is there a quick fix ? or are there other checks I could carry out.
Can anyone recommend a Xantia Indy in the Glasgow area or Scotland
Stevie
S REID
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is the heater matrix there will be a distinctive smell with it, from the antifreeze in the coolant, unmistakable - as long as there actually is antifreeze in the coolant system - first check on the list as you are looking at a world of tears if there is none :cry:

If it is fresh water rather than antifreeze then the next most likely culprit is the scuttle seal on the passenger side of the windscreen.

A third suspect is the drain from the ventilation system being clogged with rubbish entering through the air inlet. I don't know where this drain is located on anything other than a GS unfortunately. I imagine nowhere easy to get to though, someone else will clarify that point.
sreid
My Cars:

Heater Matrix

Post by sreid »

I have discovered that the liquid is sweet to taste and sticky when mopped up 99% sure that it is antifreeze solution.There is also no noticable water puddle when parked in the rain.
My new question is FORTE RAD REPAIR THE BEST SOLUTION TO ADD.
look forward to your opinions thanks
Stevie[/u]
S REID
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Forte does seem to be the best. There is one other, K-Seal I think but not too sure about that.
Avoid Radweld and the other cheap/poular one.