Xantia ML5T Gearbox Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Xantia ML5T Gearbox Leak

Post by davygr22 »

My Activa has a leak from the gearbox end cover area around one of the lower bolts.I note from the Citroen parts catalogue that there are two gasket types fitted - one which fits around the whole perimeter & the later type which seems to located at one point only.I have sourced both types as a precaution but was wondering if the end cover can be removed with the transmission in situ, as there is limited clearance between the end cover & the chassis rail.Also,does anyone know if there is a sealing bead around the perimeter of the later type cover in addition to the single type gasket?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I reckon the tin cover should come off OK in-situ. Once the bolts are out, the cover will be able to be maneuvered quite freely as the cover is not full of gears.

If all else fails, loosen the gearbox mount to drop the 'box a tad.

You may find the cause of the leak is not the gasket at all but creeping corrosion on the aluminium sealing face. Give the face a good clean and polish before reassembling but be careful not to scratch it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fynnbar

Post by fynnbar »

The end cover on my ML5 uses only high-temp silicone sealer. Took some real effort to remove it, and bent the cover flanges slightly too. That was with the 'box out of the vehicle, so exercise some caution.