Jinxed my c5, busted alternator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Jinxed my c5, busted alternator

Post by daviemck2006 »

Here I was last week praising my c5 2.2hdi 136 saying it has never let me down. Cue this morning on way to work battery gauge dropped right down, dash display said battery charge fault, turned for home, within a few miles think every warning light and dash warning cane on so I stopped and called the AA. They came out and as the car was still starting tested charge on alternator and diagnosed alterator failure, then towed car home. Phoned nearest stealer once I had stolen the wife's 206 to get to work and they told me a new alternator, not fitted cos I can do that myself, is £609 + VAT. Once I had picked myself up off the floor, put the phone down and seriously considered a large brandy (might need the other AA) wondered what to do next. A few phone calls later discovered local scrappy has one for a 2.0HDI for £50 + VAT and cant get a 2.2 one anywhere local was wondering if anyone knows if a 2.0 one will be suitable for the 2.2, cos I can get it tomorrow and car fixed tomorrow after work. Only thing worrying me is it may pack up in a few months, espically if it is not the correct rating for the car,
Thanks Davie
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Don't know about interchangeability, but a repaired/rebuilt alternator must be an attractive option.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

What he ^ said :)
Most likely a busted diode pack, quick and inexpensive to replace.
Pull it and have a local/mobile auto-electrician check it out for you.
Remove and recharge the battery while the alternator is out as it will be fairly depleted now.
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

When an alternator fails, the first suspect is always the brushes. There are usually two brushes made from carbon (or graphite). These wear down eventually and the alternator fails to charge. The second most likely failure are the diodes and electronic components in the diode pack. I don't know anything about the alternator used on the C5 but sometimes the brushes and the diodes are replaceable together as a diode/brush pack. If you're lucky, this pack might be fitted on the outside of the alternator and held on by just two screws. It may be more complicated however and require dismantling. Have a look at the alternator to see if there's an obvious diode/brush pack screwed to the outside. You might be able to get one of these from a motor factor. You might also be able to get a diode/brush pack from the main dealer but it will be more expensive. Can you find out the make and model number of the alternator? It will be some company like "Valeo" Then you can search on Google for a brush pack, for example a Valeo ABCD1234 alternator.

If you're working on the alternator you need to be aware of the dangers posed by the car battery. It can supply a lot of current and be very dangerous. The alternator is connected (more or less) directly to the battery. Make sure you disconnect the battery negative lead at the battery terminal before you start work. If you short out the battery you can create a dangerous situation. There's enough current there to cause sparks, fires and melt steel, just like a welder. The battery can explode if shorted out.

A local motor factor should be able to give you a price for a reconditioned alternator, if that is what is required. Also check out the prices on gsfcarparts.com
They list two reconditioned alternators for the C5. The cheapest one is 136 pounds plus a 149 pounds surcharge until you take/send your old alternator back, plus VAT. They've got shops around the country, or mail order. If you use them, I would ring up their helpline to make sure that you get the correct alternator. Also check whether the alternator comes with a pulley. It probably does, but best to ask, just in case.

Paul
birksy
My Cars:

Post by birksy »

Have you tried these?

http://www.alternatormart.co.uk/?gclid= ... 4QodWj79Xw

A couple of years ago I had a 406 alternator off them for a quarter of what every one else was asking. Was a new unit too.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The cheapest I found an alternator for the 2.0HDi was something like £300. For reasons only known to the designer and his drug dealer it has a freewheel in it.

I'd definitely be trying to replace the brushes, that way you know it'll last a while- the brushes on a used unit might only have a few months left in them.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Just ordered one from alternatormart for £119 + VAT + £5 next day delivery so guess my job this evening is pull the alternator. Think I will also investigate fixing my own one might be good to have a spare just in case, or maybe even put it back in. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it works
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Next day delivery, ordered 10.30am thurs, got it 10am tuesday! To be fair it was the courier lost it, didn't think Aberdeen airport where I work and got it delivered to would have been too difficult to find! I stay 47miles north on the coast, they were going to charge me £30 extra cos I am in Highlands and Islands (NOT) I hate these rip off delivery charges. Never mind now fitted and working well so I'll get back in the C5 and the wife will get the 206 back. Thanks again Davie
birksy
My Cars:

Post by birksy »

Nice one.

Good to know it worked out well in the end.