Auto gearbox reliability on c3 / c4 petrol models....the AL4

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kml

Auto gearbox reliability on c3 / c4 petrol models....the AL4

Post by kml »

Hi,
how reliable/smooth is the auto gearbox on the c3/c4 model mated to the petrol engine ? I am talking about the 4 speed auto.

any issues with these cogs when they get older?

thanks in advance :)
Last edited by kml on 07 Jan 2011, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

This must be the EGS transmission.

It isn't a conventional auto box where you'd have smooth gearchanges through the oil filled torque converter.

The EGS doesn't have a torque converter. It uses two actuators, one to operate the clutch and one to change the gear. The gear change is computer controlled. Although I've not driven one I have two friends at work who both have the C4 Grand Picasso with 2.0 HDi and EGS. They are very pleased with the EGS.

My own experience of this type of gear change is from driving my wife's Toyota Yaris with the same design of transmission (i.e. actuator on the clutch and gear selector) and it is good. It's not as smooth as my Audi A4 5 speed tiptronic auto (torque conv) but it's smooth enough and you're always in the right gear so it works very well. It changes down too if you put your foot down.

In the long term (100k miles plus) I would expect the EGS to be more reliable than a torque converter type auto box although you'll probably have service items like new clutch plates etc.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I've wondered about these sorts of transmissions too.

Although I've only ever tried one for a few yards (merely to move it in a car park out of my way) , I understand its a conventional manual gearbox with solenoids doing the selection / clutch operation.

The only thing I noticed (perhaps it was a one-off) there was no creep, probably understandable given what its doing, but my little 'move' involved a slight slope and it was disturbed to find it actually roll back the same way a manual trans would if you were not paying attention. :?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I think kml is wanting information on the real Automatic gearbox, as you could still get them when the EGS or Sensodrive gearbox was introduced.

They are pretty reliable, ive not heard any poor reports about the autoboxes. Not a hugely common spec though, id think the EGS or Sensodrive seems more popular.

Our Peugeot is a 1.6 16v Sensodrive, they are manual gearboxes with a traditional clutch but with automated clutch and gear operation. Apart from the lack of creep, meaning hill starts are as in a manual car, and gear changes can be a little slow at times, though in manual mode and easing off they can be made seamless and quicker.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The 4 speed one is just the AL4 box that has been used for quite a while on loads of different citroens & peugeots.
kml

Post by kml »

The four speeder is not the egs for sure. It is the AL4 .