Juddering/Shuddering-AX GT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carter

Juddering/Shuddering-AX GT

Post by carter »

Please help i have a 1989 AX GT whilst i am driving at 70 mph my ax starts to lose power and starts to judder i try to accelerate but i dont get a reaction for about 5 seconds then eventually i increase in speed,how ever this is a continuous problem!
I have put my car into 3 garages, changed plugs, leads, rotary arm, dis'cap...no solution!!!!!!
PLEASE HELP... WHAT CAN IT BE.
Paul
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Sounds like a fuelling problem to me. Change the fuel filter and check the fuel pump over.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Won't fuel problems give the opposite symtoms? You drive along at 65 on a steady throttle and your lazy pump fills the carburrettor full through your partially blocked filter. You now accelerate, all is fine as the carburrettor is full but after a few seconds that fuel is used up and can't be replemished properly so your spluttering begins?
Had this one many years ago on my father's Triumph Stag - had about 5 seconds acceleration at 70 before it died! - he wouldn't believe me that anything was wrong - I must be driving it too fast! 3 weeks later it died on a motorway! - I was on holiday at the time! In fact in this case it was the SU electric pump that failed and probably needed new contacts.
So what is your problem? Its well worth changeing the fuel filter to eliminate it and it probably needs doing anyway. You should also test the fuel pump to see if its output is reasonable (with the new filter. I'm assuming your engine is not running hot and that no alterations have been made under the bonnet which might alter the airflow and cause vaporisation and vapour locks.
I would suggest that you have a good look at the electrics and check the connections to the coil (low tension) and all plugs etc as well as the engine breather system and make sure all hoses are tight fits.
It sounds to me as though either the carburrettor is not delivering enough fuel/rich enough mixture on sudden acceleration and after a few seconds does so. This could be a carburrettor blockage but the accelerator pumps would overcome this first and the effect is likely to be the opposite, or the spark is weak and wont ignite the strong mixture provided by the accelerator pumps but copes when it leans off a bit. Another possibility is air leaks somewhere which show up on acceleration when a rich mixture is required and are amsked as a vacuum builds up.
Hope this is some help
jeremy