Xantia Diesels Thoughts and opinions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Xantia Diesels Thoughts and opinions

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi all,
Now I know I say this all the time, but this time there really is a burning need. I really have to get a diesel soon.
I've got my eye on a couple of Xantia's at the moment, one's an early mk1 '94, the others a mk2 '98.

Both 1.9 TD's as I've plans for SVO, now personally style wise I'm not fussed mk1 or mk2. What I'm interested to know is what if any mechanically sets these apart, is there anything clearly superior in one vs another? I'm aware of the potentially blower problems in the mk1, and have recently fixed in my dads, so not worried there.
I've heard people say the mk1 td's usually have a head gasket failure around 125k miles, where as the mk2 don't, also the strut tops are stronger on the mk2

Theres also the HDi to consider, had one once it was great, no veg oil but great fuel economy and power.

So throwing this one out there, what are your thoughts people, also if you got anything for sale diesel wise let me know.

Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I had a v plate mk2 that I ran on veg s it only died when the sump cracked and the bottom end went. Strong units and I miss getting over 700 miles to £40 of veg
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Generally id always go for the later car, as its seen less winters. Generally Xantias stand up well and they do just seem to last forever.

I believe S2 strut tops are better, but they do go despite what ive read and heard, ive seen S2 strut tops rotten.

I like the HDi engine, they seem to be pretty faultless and they are more efficient. But then if your planning on running it on veg then this might not be in your favour, as a 1.9 on veg should be cheaper to run than a HDi on diesel.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Personally I prefer HDi 110 bhp to TD's but if you are comparing TD models then one thing to consider is that a 94 won't have an engine ECU, pure and simple mechanical diesel motoring :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

TD's as Rich says are less complicated....i would have thought though that a HDI was cheaper to run on diesel than a TD on veg?

My head gasket went Sid at 112K....pain in the rear yes :cry:

Id go for a MK2 with a TD in it if you can find one for a mix of the both. They are around :)

I keep thinking of selling mine and getting another but i cant find anything suitable or have the money for swapping plates over etc.
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

vince wrote:TD's as Rich says are less complicated....i would have thought though that a HDI was cheaper to run on diesel than a TD on veg?
Because veg is so much cheaper, last time I worked it out (when derv wasn't so expensive) a HDI would have to do 70mpg in order to be cheaper than a TD running on veg.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Having owned both types of Diesel Xantia's my preference is for the HDI.
Obviously if an HDI develops a non obvious electronic related fault it's going to be a challenge to locate, but as one's knowledge of the systems develops it becomes relatively easy to sort.
Further down the line, injectors could be a major issue, if the engine ECU dies thats pretty terminal due to related issues, then sensors are expensive etc.
Overall though, so far, I prefer the HDI.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

My late S1 has the electronics bolted on the side along with a cat, the only issue I've had personally is the ECU connector contacts corroding. Not enough electrics to scare me!

Basically the later the S1 you get, the more extras you'll have. As soon as you get into S2 territory, the creature comforts step back a few years but the environmental bits don't.

Engine wise the changes I know of on the later TDs:
Aux belt changes to the 2.1 layout
You'll have Air Con from LX spec meaning the hydraulic pump will be higher up
EGR
Cat
Semi electronic injection pump

Not necessarily bad things, just depends on your outlook.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'd go for a late MK1 TD SX or VSX, looks better, and isn't likely to suffer from rust by the back seats in hatchback form.

DIY sphere tool
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Thanks for the input all,
I've found Asda selling veg oil at 95ppl, substantially cheaper than derv here which is typically 128ppl, if I can get my cost co membership back, I imagine even cheaper prices await, so I think despite the drop off in fuel economy a 1.9TD will be my choice over the HDi.

In my calculations I'm estimating (urban mileage) 45mpg for a 1.9td, and 55mpg for the HDi, certainly my old HDi used to return 55mpg on my standard cross town commute, do these figures sound about right?

I also understand theres a relatively easy way to squeeze some more power from the 1.9TD ;)

I'm thinking of a mk1 TD estate I've seen in the paper, looks good and I fancy an estate after realizing they handle exactly as nice as the hatchback :)
So quick question a '97 mk1 TD Temptation, what is that an LX or SX?
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I believe, like the Sensation, the Temptation was a slightly different spec to the LX/Forte, SX/Desire models.
From what I've been able to find it's similar to the SX.
Dad had a Sensation and that was more like a LX

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

A Temptation was LX spec, the Desire was SX and Athena VSX, Forte relates to S2 models.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Sid the MPG figures from the TD are 40mpg not 45mpg. That certainyl what ive found on an average over the time ive had mine :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Sorry Vince (Happy New year to you), but I think 45 is a good average mpg figure, speaking personally, but a lot must depend on the number of short journeys one does?

In the early days of ownership, my TD averaged 49 mpg over long term monitoring. I don't bother checking it nowadays, but the car's now 15 years old with another 100k under it's belt, still on the original injectors, so it will be down on the 49 mpg figure.

Often wonder if a change of injectors would help improve performance (and mpg), and also smooth out the occassional lumpy first start of the day, and no, it's not the glowplugs
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'm glad you guys confirmed that as I've often noticed ebay sellers claiming 50mpg from the TD's (but guess that's to be expected) and wondered if it is possible.

As my sig shows, I'm averaging 40mpg, though I've tuned mine to the point it smokes badly if I let it (which is wasted fuel) and my journeys are almost exclusively short, mostly around town and invariably foot to the floor when I get the chance.