Anyone in the UK with a 'base' model Xantia TD ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Anyone in the UK with a 'base' model Xantia TD ?

Post by nick »

I've got a strange problem with my Xantia, nothing to do with the car itself though, the problem is with the DVLA at Swansea [:(!]
They claim that the 1997 Xantia 1.9 TD base model does not exist, or was never sold in the UK. It clearly was, because I've got one !
I know the Turbo D base model was rare in the UK, and only available to fleet buyers, but there are a few about.
As a result, they will only either show it on the V5 registration document as a '1.9 SD', which was the light pressure turbo version. (Mine is the full pressure 92 bhp TD)
Or describe it as a '2-axle-rigid body' which is ridiculous !
If anyone else in the UK has a base model Xantia Turbo D could they tell me what the V5 describes it as please ??
Cheers,
Nick
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

I think the SD was 'Standard Diesel' - it was the 1.9D renamed. I'm probably wrong though :)
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

You are wrong!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Yes 1.9 SD was the light pressure turbo version which replaced the 1.9 D, to fit in with new exhaust emission regulations in about 1997.
The SD was an engine type rather than a model as such (eg you could get a 1.9 SD LX or a 1.9 TD LX) They were badged '1.9 SD' down the side of the car, and didn't have an intercooler.
Mine however is badged 'Turbo D' on the side and is fitted with an intercooler, making it the 92 bhp engine. Its the base model so doesn't have any extra 'LX' or 'SX' type badges on the boot.
Its quite an unusual version, having SX type upholstery, 15 inch wheels, but no central locking or electric windows !
It was originally an HSBC Bank company car, and I assume was bought as part of a large batch as this model wasn't available to private buyers.
But it is an 'official' version, eg insurance company databases and online price guides list it. I have a Citroen price list from 1997 which also lists it.
No one seems to have told the DVLA this though, possibly Citroen UK's fault.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blueboy2001</i>

You are wrong!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not the first time! [:)]
Odd that it has 15 inch wheels, my SX only has 14's :(
What's currently on the V5 for the car?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It was shown as a 1.9 SD.
I should have just kept quiet, the SD was a couple of insurance groups lower than the TD. The insurance company increased my premiums by about £60 a year when I told them what engine it really has [:(]
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Can you not just register it as an LX and be done with it?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I could, if I hadn't already told the DVLA in writing that its not an LX !
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Why not just send a copy of the price list to Swansea and if they still argue, give them Citroens phone number!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

To be honest I'm not totally convinced its not on their list, but perhaps under a slightly different description. I also posted the original message to the Yahoogroups Xantia list and someone on there has a base model Xantia estate which the DVLA describe as 'Xantia TD Estate', so I think mine should be 'Xantia TD Saloon' or something like that.
The woman I spoke to at the DVLA didn't come accross as the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I gave up trying to explain the situation to her !
I'm going to try and get them to send me a list of all the various models that they have on file for the Xantia , and see if I can find a suitable one on there.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Strangely enough I took one of the lads from work to have a look at a Xantia this morning - 1997 1.9TD with 120k on the clock for £850. He asked the guy on the phone which model it was and all he said was it was a 1.9 TD.
We got there and I noticed there was no model badge on the back, I opened the drivers door and looked in horror as I saw windy windows, no plip and no central locking. The seats were plain cloth, with a grey pattern on. It then clicked - this must be the base model talked about on the forums a while back!
I had a look at the V5 and it was described as a Xantia TD 5 Door Hatchback in the model/type section. Hopefully that description should get you somewhere with the DVLA.
As an aside he didn't buy it - it was pretty tatty inside, there was a hole in the bootlid, the accumilator and rear spheres were shot, some of the paint was a bit rough, but the main issue was the clutch must have been the original and was ridiculously heavy.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Thanks for that, I've been busy with other things so not got around to getting back in touch with the DVLA about this yet.
I was a little dubious about buying the base model when I first saw it, electric windows I can live without, but the lack of central locking can be annoying at times. What made me decide to buy this one was the fact it was very well maintained and also very cheap. It had a comprehensive service history, even detailing when things like sidelight bulbs had been replaced. For the same money I could have had an LX or SX, but three or four years older, higher mileage and with no history, so I went with this one.
If the one you looked at had been neglected I'm not surprised he didn't buy it !