Xantia Veg oil tips

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

imperial21
My Cars:

Xantia Veg oil tips

Post by imperial21 »

After payingl £127.9 ltr of diesel when i filled up i am considering, getting a cheap xud diesel xantia & running on veg oil, clean oil as i have nt got the gear for cleaning it up.
I know ineed to make sure the car has bosch diesel pump, and at this time of the year it should be diesel/veg oil mix.
Is there any tips to make the ultimate veggie xantia ???
Does anyone know any good dealers of veg oil in dorset so i can make more savings !!!!
I used to run a 405 on veg a few years ago but not for long as i sold it !

Happy new year everyone. :bd:
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

When I'm not pulling the 405 to bits, it runs on WVO. The XUD with Bosch will run as is, although I personally would recommend a heat exchanger before the filter, it will ensure that in the colder weather you don't get geling issues and it will also heat the tank via the return line keeping it nice and clean. Make sure it's a coolant based heat exchanger, not an electric one. Often one off an old boiler will do, or you can purchase ones made for the purpose (mine is a Biotuning HE).

The XUD filter housings are notorious for letting in air. An aftermarket filter housing will seal better, and the elements are bigger and better flowing. Not to mention the elements are cheaper (my last batch of genuine Delphi elements worked out at £1.24 each). Here's mine:

Personally I would be buying pre-filtered WVO from an oil supplier, should be about 40ppl. You could buy it in bulk in an IBC for example and syphon it direct to the tank, that would save the tedious task of messing around with individual containers from the cash and carry.

Also ensure that you change you engine oil more frequently. I change mine every 3,000. This is key to long term veggie motoring!
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

One thing I was told when I first started on WVO was always keep a spare fuel filter in the car (and some allen keys to change it). Apparently, no matter how clean the oil is, it'll always blind the fuel filter faster than regular diesel will.
Would save an embarrassing breakdown :lol:

Otherwise; Bosch injected XUDs run veggie oil (used or clean) lovely as they are, personally I don't find much of a difference in how it runs apart from the smell obviously :D

-Chlorate
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Chlorate is right, keep a spare filter and tools to change it handy. When I started out, I did have a filter gel on me one cold evening, and the car ground to a halt. Fortunately I had taken the advice of others and had a filter handy. Never happened since I got a heat exchanger, it pretty well stops gel from forming anywhere in the fuel system. I change the filter every 6,000 for piece of mind, but they are always spotless.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

If its WVO then the filter does become clogged very quick I find, I change about once a month or so. Though today I must change it as I have left it a little too long and it wont go above 2000 revs! Think i will have to look into the delphi filter housing.

I have already had to replace mine once due to an air leak.
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

How much work do you do to the waste veg oil to use it ? i thought the xud only ran on clean veg !
Very upsett now diesel £132.9 a ltr round here,i am on the look out for a car to do it to as mine wont like it !!!
Any more advice tips welcomed please !!!!!
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

XUDs run lovely on waste veggie, apart from the fuel filter problem. Mechanical fuel injection and a heated fuel filter :D

Strain out the chips, filter it (down to a couple of microns usually), drive out the water, stick into fuel tank and hose down passing cyclists with a delicious aroma.

I looked into it a little bit; seems like it'll be a big messy faff, but usually you can find the elusive supplier of waste veggie oil somewhere that'll do all the work for you.

You'll be hard pressed to find clean veggie oil for less than £1 a litre nowadays. Around here it's more expensive than diesel in supermarkets :(
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

It is a messy job, although once you're good at it it's not too bad. There are a million ways of doing it. My advice would be let gravity do the work for you, and work in large batches to be time efficient. I have as follows:

205L drum, I empty the contents of my oil collections in the here. All the bad stuff and most of the water will settle out to the bottom. I pump out the good oil from the top using a hand barrel pump.

Then I have a second 205L drum, this one has been modified with an immersion heater about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom, and is wrapped in insulation. The good oil is pumped off the top of drum 1 into a pillow case hanging over drum 2. Once the drum is full heat the contents to about 55-70 degrees (do not boil). Stick a lid on it and leave for 2 days.

Then I pump off the top 3/4 from drum 2 into a 5 micron sock filter hanging over a wheelie bin. The stuff in the wheelie bin is then ready to use.

The whole setup cost almost nothing and has produced over 3,000 litres of nearly free fuel :D There is a little bit of time involved, but if I work hard for an hour I can produce about 120L of fuel. I'll let you "do the math" :)

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I wonder where this has been hiding out....

Smart ZX

If it was a bit nearer I might see if was Bosch pumped....could do with knocking some off my annual fuel bill now it is heading towards £4.5k :evil:
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia Veg oil tips

Post by citroenxm »

imperial21 wrote:After payingl £127.9 ltr of diesel when i filled up i am considering, getting a cheap xud diesel Xantia & running on veg oil, clean oil as i have nt got the gear for cleaning it up.
I know ineed to make sure the car has bosch diesel pump, and at this time of the year it should be diesel/veg oil mix.
Is there any tips to make the ultimate veggie Xantia ???
Does anyone know any good dealers of veg oil in dorset so i can make more savings !!!!
I used to run a 405 on veg a few years ago but not for long as i sold it !

Happy new year everyone. :bd:
Almost ALL Xantia Turbo D's are Bosch, infact, I think all the Xantia 1.9 turbos's were bosch... lucas reserved for N/a DERV's, and 2.1's

This is also my next thing - However, Im one step ahead already, a Xantia XUD Bosch TD in possesion. :bd:

Imperial21, I may just have something you may like!

Subject to a replacment head, which I DO have, Ive got a Complete Xantia TD SX Bosch, on an M plate. Its in green, HAS got mot till middle of the year, new heater matrix, new cam belt, waterpump, new filter and oil.

Needs 4 tyres, as I knicked them, and I want to keep the alloys that are on it, the tyres are bald on the alloys anyway.

Starts and runs.. but the biggest problem, theres slight wear in the rear arms.

Theres also damage to the front passenger wing.. more a heavy scrape..

Personally though, I think with a head swap a perfect Veggie car!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

evilally wrote:Chlorate is right, keep a spare filter and tools to change it handy. When I started out, I did have a filter gel on me one cold evening, and the car ground to a halt. Fortunately I had taken the advice of others and had a filter handy. Never happened since I got a heat exchanger, it pretty well stops gel from forming anywhere in the fuel system. I change the filter every 6,000 for piece of mind, but they are always spotless.
I used to have a W reg Xantia 1.9td and this used to run very well on 100% WVO. I had a home made heat exchanger but the biggest problem I had was that of air getting into the system and in the end it would not run on 100% WVO. :cry:
I currently have a Xantia HDI that runs fantastic on bio diesel, I buy it from the same place that used to sell WVO. They run a couple of delivery vans but when they upgraded the vans they decided to start making bio diesel instead. :wink:
One thing I have noticed though is that WVO seems to cope better in the cold weather than bio diesel. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this before?

Regards,

Howie
Last edited by howiedean on 06 Jan 2011, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

It has been announced the the HDi engine WILL run and cope with and IS approved by PSA for running on Bio Diesel, as long as its liquidlly enough, I think, a High Viscoscity ( Not thick like Veg)

But we cannot get Bio Derv here in North Wales from the Garage..

So its Bio or WVO for me this year I think.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

citroenxm wrote:It has been announced the the HDi engine WILL run and cope with and IS approved by PSA for running on Bio Diesel, as long as its liquidlly enough, I think, a High Viscoscity ( Not thick like Veg)

But we cannot get Bio Derv here in North Wales from the Garage..

So its Bio or WVO for me this year I think.

Paul
I've been using it for a while in the HDI although, I now use a different filter than the original HDI one. The only issue I have is that I dont now have a heated filter and therefore need to be careful in the winter. I have put 25 litres in the tank ready for its MOT tomorrow though.
One thing that stopped me using the fuel last year was a dodgy in tank pump. Now that I now have a proper bosch pump all is well.

Regards,

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone