License renewal

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

License renewal

Post by MikeT »

I was speaking with a friend yesterday who tells me they've recieved a photocard renewal notice from DVLA that demands they pay £25 for the privilege.

I must admit, I wasn't aware of this new scheme, despite having to change to the photocard after moving address so I looked into it.

It seems the photocard license is only valid for ten years, after which renewal is compulsory at a cost, currently £25 - was £17.50 when introduced so lord knows how much it'll cost me in 7 years time. When I passed my test, I was told it was for life (or until I reached 70-odd) and it still is if you've held onto your paper license. Moving address means I've now lost that privilege.

Yet another stealth tax I fear and the DVLA failed to publicise it because it would mean they'd have to fend off unnecessary enquiries, they said. What they didn't mention was why it's so veiled and obscurely coded in the small print on your photocard license rather making it clear the license was limited. Barstewards. :evil:

EDIT: I saw, on one of those follow-the-police type documentary shows of a driver that fell foul of this and they discovered his license had expired. They impounded his car and made him and his passenger find alternative transport, forcing him to pay to get his car back, provided someone could prove their legally allowed to drive it out the 'pound. I guess he was also prosecuted for not having a license to drive, which could have voided his insurance also though the DVLA tell us no-one has been prosecuted for failing to surrender their license, which I think we're supposed to be grateful for??? :evil:
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I still have my paper licence, and have not moved yet, so have avoided this stealth tax.

Maybe they will have another stipulation in the future to tax us even more, :wink: so if you change your haircut, dye your hair, age etc then they will say it's not a good likeness, so you need to update it again at more cost!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes I think I saw that too, the car pulled over was a Mercedes he just bought, and it was an episode of Traffic Cops on BBC1, if we are talking about the same programme.
ACTIVA

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

ACTIVE8 wrote:Yes I think I saw that too, the car pulled over was a Mercedes he just bought, and it was an episode of Traffic Cops on BBC1, if we are talking about the same programme.
Probably, they seem much of a sameness to me though I do recall it was a posh car. I only watch them as these programmes allow me to keep up to date of the latest "gotchas" to avoid. Amazing how a simple indiscretion can cause so much inconvenience and I was taken back by how well the driver accepted the punishment but what can you do, eh?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

MikeT wrote:
ACTIVE8 wrote:Yes I think I saw that too, the car pulled over was a Mercedes he just bought, and it was an episode of Traffic Cops on BBC1, if we are talking about the same programme.
Probably, they seem much of a sameness to me though I do recall it was a posh car. I only watch them as these programmes allow me to keep up to date of the latest "gotchas" to avoid. Amazing how a simple indiscretion can cause so much inconvenience and I was taken back by how well the driver accepted the punishment but what can you do, eh?
I watch them for the same reason!
ACTIVA

HDI
My Cars:

Re: License renewal

Post by HDI »

MikeT wrote:EDIT: I saw, on one of those follow-the-police type documentary shows of a driver that fell foul of this and they discovered his license had expired. They impounded his car and made him and his passenger find alternative transport, forcing him to pay to get his car back, provided someone could prove their legally allowed to drive it out the 'pound. I guess he was also prosecuted for not having a license to drive, which could have voided his insurance also though the DVLA tell us no-one has been prosecuted for failing to surrender their license, which I think we're supposed to be grateful for??? :evil:
This happened to me one cold, wet February night miles from home. I had no awareness my licence had been suspended due to to some technicality and because it was outside office hours the Police could not contact anyone at the DVLA !!
It turned out that it was because the DVLA had not received my licence for endorsement after a FPN speeding ticket. Strange that, as I had surrendered it to a Police Station !!!
Despite me getting a written statement from the Chief Superintendent at the Police Station in question that they had lost it I could not get a refund of the charges to get the car out of the impound !!
Be aware, we live in Orwell's 1984 and it is a Police state !
Who is aware that from January it will be mandatory for cars to be insured if they are taxed. Even if the insurance expires whilst the car is taxed and the car is not used or kept on a public road it will be an offence !!! The car must be sorned if not insured and the tax disc surrendered for refund.
Nice little earner that, because the DVLA will only refund complete months of tax so is the disc is surrendered part way through a month you lose that month !!!
The state always has it's hand in your pocket !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
MikeT

Re: License renewal

Post by MikeT »

HDI wrote: Who is aware that from January it will be mandatory for cars to be insured if they are taxed. Even if the insurance expires whilst the car is taxed and the car is not used or kept on a public road it will be an offence !!!!
I didn't know this for one.

I know I can be ultra cynical but this adds weight to my theory the authorities actually want us to be lawless so they can increase revenues while not needing to fulfill their own obligations, making them more money for nothing.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Cynical is good !! Have you also noticed that the more we are forced to pay the less we get !!
Not only have we had a woeful service from local authorities during this last episode of snow but think what the roads will be like after this winter and how long it will take for them to be repaired, if ever !!
Proved by the state of roads after last winter !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Just to add to this make sure you make several scans & photocopies of both parts of your licence before you send it away for renewal (or any reason for that matter). Was reading MCN a while back & there have been loads of cases of the licences coming back with entitlements missing like motorcycle etc with no records of it ever being on there forcing people to retake tests, one guy who had a photocpy of his licence was even accused of forgery by the DVLA.
Also heard about the if the car it taxed it must be insured even if it is kept off the road thing, It is a legal requirement (as of 2011) for vehicle keepers to be covered by insurance at all times unless the vehicle is declared off-road (SORN).
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

wheeler wrote:Just to add to this make sure you make several scans & photocopies of both parts of your licence before you send it away for renewal (or any reason for that matter). Was reading MCN a while back & there have been loads of cases of the licences coming back with entitlements missing like motorcycle etc with no records of it ever being on there forcing people to retake tests, one guy who had a photocpy of his licence was even accused of forgery by the DVLA.
Also heard about the if the car it taxed it must be insured even if it is kept off the road thing, It is a legal requirement (as of 2011) for vehicle keepers to be covered by insurance at all times unless the vehicle is declared off-road (SORN).
I have also heard about the DVLA not doing their job properly, and losing paperwork, and entitlements so I would also advise to keep copies of everything!
ACTIVA

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm still waiting for december's tax disc
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Xac wrote:I'm still waiting for december's tax disc
I'm sure DVLA will blame that on the adverse weather conditions. :lol:
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

But that won't be any excuse for driving without it of course!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Paul-R wrote:But that won't be any excuse for driving without it of course!
Indeed, wish I'd just waited and gone to the post office this month.
Now I have to wait til the 4th to phone them and try and sort it out.

Tried to tax Juliet tonight to take her to Jim's on Monday, but I'd forgotten they've still got her V5 to update the address, and the reference number on the last renewal is too old to work.
Why you can't just put in the reg and confirm the address I don't know.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

BE WARNED

They really ARE out to get now.

I went outside to the car about 12:30pm and found a Police Warning Notice for failure to display a valid tax disc. FFS it's a bloody Sunday and it's only the 2nd of January - they really are keen on screwing the motorist for every penny they can to fill their finance gap.

I found the little weasel faced, bureaucratic, gob$hite Community Support Officer round the corner sticking a warning notice on another car. I said that it was the way to go supporting the community by handing out tickets, to which he responded he was only doing his job (the Nuremberg defence!).

I went on up the road to see if any more cars were displaying out of date tax discs and warn the owners but unfortunately he had obviously been that way as others were already ticketed.

When I returned my wife had already started haranguing him. Unfortunately she then made the mistake of appearing to call him illegitimate to which he took offence and then demanded my wife's details. After threatening her with calling a support vehicle she reluctantly complied. No danger of over-reaction there.

So, after issuing her with a "Stop" notice, we went on our way.

It's booked in for an MOT on Tuesday at 11:00. So, presumably I'll be hit with a fine for a lack of MOT as well.

Happy New Year everyone except those in blue.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​