top strut mount.......safe to drive??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

top strut mount.......safe to drive??

Post by deano1970 »

ok, the noise coming from the front of my car isn't a broken spring,it is the top strut mount. The garage say they can't get hold of one today as they are closing at dinner time and its a main dealer part. Apparently not a really expensive fix,but I asked them if it's ok to drive and they said yes... are they right to tell me this? the noise appears to be getting louder and more frequent. I do not need to use it too much before the 4th but,is it safe to drive it before then? or could I damage it further?? cheers guys... oh,it's the sxara picasso
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Is the garage where the car is, an MOT station?

As we cannot see the car, it would not be safe to pass judgement!

Are the garage going to put that yes in writing, probably not!

Is there a technically minded person you can get to look at it, to give a second independent opinion?

If it's not safe, and you don't really need to use it then don't, better to be safe than sorry, and driving (so to speak) into the New Year in an unsafe vehicle.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

If it is either the strut top rubber mounting or the upper strut bearing that is making the noise, I would suggest not using the car until it is repaired. If either fail completely, the suspension on that side will collapse. That could affect the handling and roadholding of the vehicle.

You would not like it to happen at speed.

H