AA relay service

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamster
My Cars:

AA relay service

Post by hamster »

As per previous thread my Xantia had blown out a spark plug leaving me stranded 300 miles from home with limited tools and in the middle of lots of bank holidays when garasges like to shut.

I spoke to local garages yesterday and non of them would look at helicoiling the head with out taking it off which means i'd be looking at £350 - £400 by the time the head has been reskimmed etc.

Needing to get home to work I bought a new car yesterday with plans to scrap the xantia but have since found helicoil fitting kits on ebay for around £25 so now have a new car and a car i could potentialy fix for £25, both 300 miles from home! I need to leave tonight or tomorrow morning so won't be here long enough to wait for the bits to arrive from ebay.

I have national relay in my AA membership and wondered if they would tow my xantia home and I follow them in the new car or if they would get funny/suspicious about this and insist on me being in the truck with the Xantia?

Ideally I'd like to get both cars back together but the worst case is that I drive back and leave the xantia here and fly back in a couple of weeks for £30 and then ring the AA for a tow home.

Long term I'll probably sell the xantia as its getting on a bit with 146k on it and i have no idea how long the clutch has left in it as i've done the last 70k and haven 't changed it.
Xantia V reg (99) 1.8i 16v lx estate (green)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There'll be something mobile to suit (maybe ask the area's Wurth rep?); either that or the DIY option. The thread is down a long way in the tube.

Where is the car presently? If you're anywhere near Malcolm or Handyman it might be sorted rather quickly.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You dont have to go with the car when the AA recover it, as long as your there when they arrive to hand over the keys.

The problem with helicoiling with the head still on is getting metal swarf in the engine.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

There is not a problem fitting wire thread inserts with the head on, providing you take a few precautions. As the swarf you are making is made of light alloy, it will not damage either the exhaust valve or seat as it exits the combustion chamber when the car is first started after the repair.

All my taps for spark plug thread forms are 'kin' long ones, so access is never a problem. However, these cheapy kits are just that and never include a thread gauge, to see if the new thread meets the required standard. :shock:

Handyman
hamster
My Cars:

Post by hamster »

Handyman - Where do it get some 'kin' long taps from then? The only ones I've seen have been short ones. My plan was to make it fit in a socket or hex socket and then I can use it with an extension and tommy bar. I'm sure i can make the helicoil fitting tool with a bit of slotted long bar if the one that comes in the kit isn't long enough to get down the tube in the head.

Now awaiting the AA truck to arrive to take me home. Could be a long night!
Xantia V reg (99) 1.8i 16v lx estate (green)
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Once did the AA Relay thingy from Paignton in /devon to Birmingham. It took forever because the AA use 'way points' i.e. they drive to a AA depot enroute offload your vehicle then wait for the next relay vehicle 'going your way' then onto the next AA depot etc. Paingnton to Birmingham took 14 hours. The RAC in contast use one vehicle all the way home so much quicker. However, as you already have your own means of transport home... no problem (hopefully).

I'm sure you intend to use some grease on the tap to minimise swarf dropping into the cylinder bore! 8-)
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

From memory, the long spark plug taps were obtained from Armstrong, many moons ago and they were eye wateringly expensive, but they have earned their investment. Whether they are still available, I do not know.

I use a couple of different cutting compounds with the taps, depending on the material being cut or tapped. Grease isn't one of them.

Handyman
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

f00lzz wrote:Once did the AA Relay thingy from Paignton in /devon to Birmingham. It took forever because the AA use 'way points' i.e. they drive to a AA depot enroute offload your vehicle then wait for the next relay vehicle 'going your way' then onto the next AA depot etc. Paingnton to Birmingham took 14 hours. The RAC in contast use one vehicle all the way home so much quicker. However, as you already have your own means of transport home... no problem (hopefully).

I'm sure you intend to use some grease on the tap to minimise swarf dropping into the cylinder bore! 8-)
The RAC way is the correct way to do it because, you're putting the customer first, whereas the "way points" adds more time and hassle to the experience, and gives the customer a lot of stress, which would be not be good especially if the customer is stranded with kids!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.