Citroen Xantia 1.9TD SX can it B made Auto???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITROEN-SUCKER

Citroen Xantia 1.9TD SX can it B made Auto???

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Hi i have a small problem i have 2 Xantia's both are 1.9Td one is a VSX and the other Sx now we also have a small Fiat Panda Automatic that my Mum drives my problem is that we need to get down to only 2 cars and getting rid of the panda is the obvious one but my mum likes the ease of driving the automatic. So is it possible to convert a normal 5speed box over to auto e.g. can i just swap it?[:o)] I don't mind spending the time but i don't have the money to go out and get a late models Xantia diesel with Auto. so can anyone help as if it cant be done i think i will be looking at losing 1 of my Xantia's and replacing it with a Renault Clio or something simerler..
[:(]
thanks
j.j.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It would be a matter of visiting a scrap yard looking for a Xantia auto.
I don't think there's any difference between petrol/diesel autoboxes - this was not the case for the BX range.
But you'll need more bits than just the box :
- gear selector & panel details
- selector linkage
- kickdown linkage
- converter flywheel for the engine
- various fittings & details related
- any starter inhibit electric circuitry
Agree that it would be a fairly easy DIY job - not much different from an engine swapping job.
But you should prepare yourself for a rather time consuming job - running into odd fitting details/problems.
My advice would be a full engine/box out/swap job.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

My advice would be either to get rid of the panda and one of the xantias and replace the xantia with an auto version.
Or rid the panda and swop the 1.9 TD engine and box for a 1.9D engine and auto box, the problem is the turbo, when it comes on song the extra grunt will cause the auto box to change down when it doesn't need to.
Thats why earlier TD's were not offered with an auto option, only the non turbo's could be offered in auto.
There are now TD auto's available and this has been made possible by the use of electronics to dictate ratio changes, you can still swop to TD auto but the grief and expense you will encounter may prove it not to be worthwhile, to go down this route you will need the complete donor vehicle and TD auto's are like rocking horse you know what.
Dave