Keys

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leigh

Keys

Post by leigh »

Hi,
Been on here a few times & found the help brilliant.
I've got a Xsara 1.9D 1999 . It came with all the keys.
The key thats contained within the remote central locking starts the car however the 2 genuine Citroen keys that came with the car fit all the locks inc ignition but when installed in the ignition switch it won't deactivate the immobiliser.
I have the key card that came with the owner's manual etc
Do these spare keys contain an immobiliser chip in them as standard ? (is there a way of telling?) & its just a case of getting the dealer to programme them or do I have to order a key via the car's chassis number ?
Is there anyone around the Sheffield area that does this kind of work.
Cheers

Leigh
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its highly likely the 'dead' keys do contain the transponder chip.

I would suspect they have not been coded to the car.

I'm not sure if this is possible via a Lexia (quite likely) or will require a dealer visit. The Lexia can do everything the dealer can I believe though.

There was some debate about keys once coded cannot be re-coded although with the transponder itself being static I do not see how.

The keycard is needed to code keys as the Lexia asks for this code.

I'd look at the threads here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=29178

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=26807

To see if there's a friendly forum member nearby who can assist you. You may only need to have the keys coded in. It's essential (as far as I am aware) to do them all, so if doing this although it sounds obvious take ALL the keys with you. The Planet (Peugeot equivalent) usually asks for each key in turn as it tends to do them all in one go.

Hope that's a bit of help. I'm not 100% familiar with the ins and outs but that should be a start (no pun intended) to help you.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
leigh

Post by leigh »

Thanks for that Andy, I'll give it a whirl
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

spider wrote: There was some debate about keys once coded cannot be re-coded although with the transponder itself being static I do not see how.
You can re code the keys to a car they have previously been coded to but not a different car.
leigh

Post by leigh »

Wheeler, they are the original 2 genuine keys that came the car - they just don't deactivate the immobiliser when they're inserted into the ignition switch.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

They should re code without any problems then, sounds like someone has programed a key at some point & not had the spare keys there at the same time.
leigh

Post by leigh »

Yep could be a possibility.
Looks like a trip to the dealers then. Hopefully won't get stung with the labour rate as I'm in the motortrade myself but unfortunately its on the motorcycle side.
Tried Steve at steel city whose got a lexia but he's not done coding keys
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

If Steve's reading this, I'd encourage him to give it a go, though I understand his reluctance. It's pretty straightforward and the instructions are timely and precise to follow. There's nothing to worry about, if it fails, you simply restart the process from the beginning and, AFAICT, the only reason it would fail is due to lack of power through interruption of battery supply or drop in voltage below that required to power the Lexia and ECU's.