BX to XANTIA

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

franciscolunn
My Cars:

BX to XANTIA

Post by franciscolunn »

Hi Guys,
I'm about to aquire a low mileage XANTIA 1.8 16v Dimension,can anyone give me some tips on what to look for and am i doing the right thing,(at least i'm sticking with Citroen).How does the engine compare to a 1.8 8v.As i've had BX's for years i know about hydraulics and such like, it's just that XANTIA's are all new to me, but it's the next step isn't it or is it!!!!.thanks.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Dont know much about Xantias but it seems they are about quarter of a ton heavier than a BX and much longer!
Estate is 15 ft 5 in long - BX estate 14ft 5 in!
jeremy
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

It is a natural move. You will miss some aspects of the BX, and you will be glad to get rid of some of the others. What eyar is the car you are looking at? Early ones were very much the same as the BX suspensionwise. They changed progressively with time.
The Xantia is MUCH more refined than the BX. It is a trade of though, and the BX is much more sporty in its handling.
I wouldn't go back to a BX as my main transport now, but may get one as a second car at some stage.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I have recently made the change, things to look for are all the usual citroen f**** ups, rear arm bearings, front susp bottom ball joints, electrical gizmos not working, if its a later one there's extra spheres to go flat, if its air con check that it works as it can be expensive to fix, make sure the air bag light functions correctly, likewise the ABS if fitted.
I posted a while ago on this subject and opinions seem very mixed, I feel the build quality is better and mine is not rusty but others reckon that they are as bad as BXs for the tin worm. I like the fact that it is very quiet in comparison with my BX, it deos not rattle or squeak and the brakes are more like those on the CX, too sensitive for some but very reassuring once your used to it. It weighs loads more and my turbo diesel is pushed to overtake anything faster than a parked car or a geriatric snail with a zimmer frame ;-))). I lug loads of tools round in mine and the only other thing I've noticed is that the actual tailgate hole on the estate is smaller than Bx estate's. Over all I like the Xantia a lot but the later ones are nearly as complex as a CX without anything like the performance or comfort or sheer STYLE.
________
Free gift cards
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

You don't say what BX you are moving from.
If the BX has a engine bigger than a 1.6 then you'll find the 1.8 (even 16v) a bit sluggish. (I assume this is petrol since the smallest Xantia diesel is a 1.9).
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

yes homer i got the 16v 1.8 and came from a bx gti ...but now i have the xantia i'm impressed.....sorry you bx guys but i'm hooked.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

I've recently acquired Xantia 1.8 16V. A nice change from a Mondeo. Things to watch our for on a low mileage car (mine has done 48000 m): TIMING BELT CHANGE - this model was subject to recall in 2001 for cars from 1995 - 1996. Make sure the work has been done.If not a dealer should do it free of charge. Also - check remote central locking, alarm, parking brake (subject to recall for early models), electrical sunroof (guess what:subject to recall for early models), brake wear, check that the steering wheel radio mounted controls are working properly and the airbag warning light (on the steering wheel under the MUTE button) comes on.
That's about it. The car is fast (reasonably), very comfy on the motorway, very easy to park, pedals lay out is a bit awkward and the pedals are somehow stiff, mpg is about 37 (change air filter - takes 1 min and costs 3£). For tyres - stick to Michelin. Check the spare tyre cradle release.
Have fun
Nick
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Yes Nick,all points you mentioned are correct and cambelt recall was done atho its due soon for another cambelt in a few weeks time at my local garage,i just changed my spark plugs and its made a considerable improvement to mpg and smoother running,tyres are unknown make from eastern europe so will be upgrading to michs next, noticed front ones squeel slightly and are noisy when turning in to corners apart from that i'm impressed with xantias as a whole and will now be on the lookout for a facelifted model next year.
cheers
1.8 16v 1996 model.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

franciscolynn,
Can you recommend me any good spark plugs. Or shall I just go with the generic brands. Is it easy job changing them DIY?
Nick
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Easy to change spark plugs i used NGK plugs and i reckon they are the best, mine have twin electrodes,you need allen keys and take black panel off the top of the camcovers plug leads come off with it as it is integral,then remove plugs as normal.
good luck