Diagnostics options for 2000 (W) Xantia HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilclive

Diagnostics options for 2000 (W) Xantia HDi

Post by evilclive »

What does one need to talk to one of these, and what will it tell you? I've seen mention of Lexia, but not quite worked it all out.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Clive, a Citroen of your age uses proprietary protocols and this limits the diagnostics tools that can be used. Despite having an OBDII-style socket, an OBDII reader will just sulk if connected.

Lexia is the Citroen diagnostic machine and comes in two flavours; a dedicated machine (Lexia 2) and as software and an interface to run on a laptop (Lexia 3) Chinese copies of the latter are freely available on the 'bay and cost relatively little. Genuine Lexia 2 machines, complete with Tolley and leads come up on the 'bay from time to time, often from closed-down workshops.

Other machines that will read the diagnostics are the ELIT (Lexia predecessor), the Proxia (Lexia built by a different company) and the Sykes-Pickavant ACR4.

As for what you can see with a Lexia, basically every ECU on the car, their fault codes, ability to resent them and live data. As an example, here's a Lexia screenshot of a Xantia showing climate ECU live data:

This is a Lexia 2

Those of us who have them would be lost without them. There's a "sticky" in Supersticky area that has a list of those of us happy to carry out lexia diagnostics.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

HDIs with Bosch ECU will talk to a cheap EOBD tester. However you will only be able to read error codes that Peugeot/Citroen choose to let you read (maybe half of them?).

You can also read some live data such as boost, engine temp etc

For example if I disconnect the cam position sensor on my 806 the engine won't start, but no error code is shown on an EOBD scanner.

Anything deamed "emissions" related will be readable though.

Those with Seimens ECU won't work with EOBD at all though.
evilclive

Something like this?

Post by evilclive »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Peugeot-d ... 3cb3a200b8

Is that what I want, and is it a fair price? (nobody nearby on the map, and I quite fancy having one for longer than a visit)
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

evilclive, I know the feeling :) I was also planning to buy one for a long time.
After a post here in FCF, just before Xmas, I decided to give a try!
Santa Claus has brought one for me :D, from China (Thanks again to you atr :wink: ).

It works! I have read and erased an error which was recorded. Diagnostic light flashed during last summer.

CitroJim or other Lexia experts, can you pls help, What is this cable in the pic and how is it used?

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

VertVega wrote:CitroJim or other Lexia experts, can you pls help, What is this cable in the pic and how is it used?
I think it must be for using the car battery as an additional power source.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh yes, that cable is for MK1 XMs and the like that have a collection of two pin diagnostic sockets, one for each ECU. Despite having a two pin socket, only one pin is used. The croc clips are needed to power the Lexia interface from the vehicle battery when using this lead. Normally the interface picks up power from the diagnostic socket.

It has no use on the Xantia :D

I see you don't have the 30 pin plug for diagnosing MK1 Xantias. I believe they come as a 16 pin to 30 pin adapter.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Thanks for the replies :) So I don't have to bother about that cable anymore.

"16 pin to 30 pin adapter" cable was as an option and I thought I don't need it at all.
I didn't order (Ups, I meant, I didn't write to Santa 8-) ).
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

This kit includes the 30 pin plug for £19 less including postage.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If I remember correctly a lot of the older (say pre 97) have a single, (green?) two pin type connector for diagnosis.

I certainly remember seeing these in some models.

Things like airbag diagnostics on an early 306 was done with the plug under the rear seat and 205 (later fuel inj models) had the engine ECU diag plug in the engine bay, near the servo.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote:If I remember correctly a lot of the older (say pre 97) have a single, (green?) two pin type connector for diagnosis.
They're the ones Andy, I believe they first came to prominence with the introduction of the Motronic Injection using a digital ECU. I recall them certainly in the 405.

You could get "flash" codes out of them and I fancy the Lexia just reads and interprets them. Certainly the data rate is very slow. Reading an early XM Hydractive 1 ECU is very painfully slow. Set it off and by the time you've made a cuppa, drank it and washed up the cup the data is ready to be looked at :lol: :lol:
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:You could get "flash" codes out of them and I fancy the Lexia just reads and interprets them. Certainly the data rate is very slow. Reading an early XM Hydractive 1 ECU is very painfully slow. Set it off and by the time you've made a cuppa, drank it and washed up the cup the data is ready to be looked at :lol: :lol:
Basic serial type communications then ? , I guess with a single wire that's all it could be, unless its just pulse which is not far off I suppose. I dread to think of what baud rate it is though to be that slow. Although having said that reading the code is certainly 100 times better than just using a 'guess-o-meter' (ie: "I think its X so I'll just replace it anyway") :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Will they work on a 406 Hdi?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Peter.N. wrote:Will they work on a 406 Hdi?
The device which I have added a pic above is also compatible with Peugeot.
I got software installation CD and there was a program called Lexia for Citroen and also PP2000 (Peugeot Planet 2000) for Peugeots.
Both Citroen and Peugeot logos are seen on the device.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

OK thanks for that.