Xantia fanatic needs assistance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blackdog
My Cars:

Xantia fanatic needs assistance

Post by Blackdog »

Hi All, its been awhile since I have made a post...mainly because I have been working on the old girl getting her ready for MOT.. which she passed a month ago...however the plot thickens... so here goes..not long ago I replaced all the spheres on my 99 xantia 1.9td estate...it went relatively smoothley apart from the left rear sphere which when I eventually got it off after snapping 2 wrenches it appeared that the housing was slightly damaged...I had heard that this was an area Citroen tried to save money on a while back macking the housings of a cheaper metal...anyway once I cleaned it up and peplaced the seal it seemed to seal itself..enough anyway to get it though the MOT with no leaks...I mite add that the car was driving like I never belived she would..I knew that doing ALL the spheres would make a difference...but hey this was amazing....sleeping police just dont exist>> so things are looking pretty good...considering that I have replaced both drop links..both track rod ends..both rear front suspension bushes...and a new radiator boy that was the hardest job of them all to do...new thermostst...overhaulled the heating system...new oil filter air filter..had the 2 front doors rehinged..got the inhouse stereo and cd all up and working...replaced the front seat for MOT..new exhust..and bought myself a flaring tool to replace alot of the corroded lhm pipework...and i have fitted a new timing belt which took a while also...so im thinking after a lot of money and time at my mates garage eventually my beloved Xantia is basically sound...NO what started to happen first was I noticed the front suspension was sitting high...she would drop right down raise right up but when I put it to normal mode she stayed high..my mate said to me maybe she is doing that to compensate for the back being low but thats not the case because she was doing this when the rear sphere wasnt leaking...so you worked out that the rear sphere has started to leak again and now she wont raise atall to be able to drive her...stationary she will rise up and down both front and back but go to drive her and she is the lowest possible at back and I have no brakes...I am stumped also as to why once all the spheres were done she would only raise sporadically at the front..in a series of three jerks..my mate said she should be rising up smoothly...so I need your help to firstly locate a housing for my left rear sphere...possibly from martin who I initally got my flaring tool and piping he is down in cambrideshire but I dont have his details anymore..and maybe some advice on the fitting if this new housing?? wot to watch out for!! also if any of you can shed any light on why she is jerking up at the front and not sitting at the right hieght.....the other problem is that I have just moved house and dont have my broadband set up yet it will be a couple of weeks till that happens so am using a friends which is along trip from mine..I will get him to check my mail to see what you guys say...I have resigned myself to the car being out of action for at least the next two weeks maybe longer because of having to source the housing and get it sent up to me here in bonny scotland the post is well behind...so let me know what you think about my problem all replies appreciated...You can imagine im a bit gutted after doing so much work to her and getting her through mot to find her lying on the driveway unable to drive...By the way I am the biggest Xantia fan...this is my third I just love them to bits..but they are hard work and hard to work on...Im just a glutten for punishment...look forward to hearing from you..merry xmas.
I.9TD Green xantia estate sx 96.
1.9TD Green xantia estate sx 99.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Any chance you could split this post into seperate paragraphs? I'm not having a pop but I can't be bothered to mentally do it for you and would hazard guess others wouldn't either, lessening your chance of it being read, let alone responded to correctly.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Punctuation does sometimes nicely break up the visual bulk of
copy. Guess even off work, I'm still a graphic designer, so:
Hi All, its been awhile since I have made a post...mainly because I have been working on the old girl
getting her ready for MOT.. which she passed a month ago...however the plot thickens... so here goes..

not long ago I replaced all the spheres on my 99 Xantia 1.9td estate... (it went relatively smoothly apart
from the left rear sphere which when I eventually got off after snapping 2 wrenches) it appeared that the
housing was slightly damaged.

I had heard that this was an area Citroën tried to save money on a while back making the housings of a
cheaper metal.

Anyway, once I cleaned it up and replaced the seal it seemed to seal itself..enough anyway to get it though
the MOT with no leaks.

I might add that the car was driving like I never believed she would. I knew that doing ALL the spheres
would make a difference...but hey this was amazing....sleeping police just don't exist

>> so things are looking pretty good...considering that I have replaced:

• both drop links..
• both track rod ends..
• both rear front suspension bushes...
• a new radiator boy that was the hardest job of them all to do...
• new thermostat...
• overhauled the heating system...
• new oil filter air filter..
• had the 2 front doors re-hinged..
• got the in-house stereo and cd all up and working...
• replaced the front seat for MOT..
• new exhaust..
• bought myself a flaring tool to replace a lot of the corroded lhm pipework...
• fitted a new timing belt which took a while also..

So I'm thinking after a lot of money and time at my mates garage eventually my beloved Xantia is basically sound

NO!

What started to happen first was I noticed the front suspension was sitting high...
she would drop right down raise right up but when I put it to normal mode she stayed high..
my mate said to me maybe she is doing that to compensate for the back being low but thats not the case because
she was doing this when the rear sphere wasn't leaking...

so you worked out that the rear sphere has started to leak again and now she wont raise at all to be able to drive her
stationary she will rise up and down both front and back but go to drive her and she is the lowest possible at back and
I have no brakes...

I am stumped also as to why once all the spheres were done she would only raise sporadically at the front..
in a series of three jerks.. my mate said she should be rising up smoothly.

I need your help to firstly locate a housing for my left rear sphere... possibly from martin who I initially got my flaring tool
and piping he is down in cambrideshire but I don't have his details anymore..

and maybe some advice on the fitting if this new housing?? what to watch out for!!

Also if any of you can shed any light on why she is jerking up at the front and not sitting at the right height.....

the other problem is that I have just moved house and don't have my broadband set up yet it will be a couple of weeks
'till that happens so am using a friends which is along trip from mine..I will get him to check my mail to see what you guys say...
I have resigned myself to the car being out of action for at least the next two weeks maybe longer because of having to
source the housing and get it sent up to me here in bonny scotland the post is well behind...

so let me know what you think about my problem all replies appreciated...

You can imagine I'm a bit gutted after doing so much work to her and getting her through mot to find her lying on the
driveway unable to drive...By the way I am the biggest Xantia fan...this is my third I just love them to bits..but they are
hard work and hard to work on...Im just a glutten for punishment...look forward to hearing from you..

Merry Xmas.
Any help? :D

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Martin at Pleiades has a linked pdf from Google here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... Wg&cad=rja

Should start to download a pdf which has the contact info:

Seven Star Garage
20 Glatton Road
Sawtry
Cambs PE17 5SY
01487 831239
fax 01487 823444

sales@citroenspares.net

Andrew
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

Thankyou very much Andrew for your work on my text that was really kind of you to do that..I am at my mothers today so have managed to check mt mail briefly...i see that I have been posted MARTINS details so can go ahead and contact him now Im pretty sure he will be able to help..thanks again to all who replied..merry xmas
I.9TD Green xantia estate sx 96.
1.9TD Green xantia estate sx 99.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sounds like to me you have some sticky Linkages that control the height correctors!!

However, having no brakes, sounds like air in the system, TRY... lowering the car to the bottom setting, and while the is still running.. open the REGULATOR bleed screw, and leave her running for about 5 mins

This then WILL bleed the whole system through, and get any air out..

The pump is still drawing fluid and putting it through the system..

Id try this first to see if you get your brakes back..

Tighten the bleed screw back up with the engine running and see..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Paul wrote
"This then WILL bleed the whole system through, and get any air out.."

appart from the brake circuit which can only be bled via the bleed kniples at each wheel,

regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Not necesserally Malc,

This will only bleed from the Brake valve to the Wheels... How ever, if theres no brake pressure opening the bleed screw will SORT the pressure side out first!!..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Just bleed the back brakes anyway. Some maddy has put snow on the pages :lol: As if we aint seen enough of it............save it for the wet winters guys :D

How far up North are you my friend?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2