1998 berlingo 1.9D problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paul whalley
My Cars:

1998 berlingo 1.9D problem

Post by paul whalley »

hi i have a problem with my steering when i turn its light as it should be but then all of a sudden it goes tight ans sort of sticks any one got any idea what it might be?
Paul

Peugeot Boxer 2.0 HDI 53
Citroen Berlingo 1.9d 1998
Saab 93 1.9 (150) tid 57
peugeot boxer 2.0 HDI 54
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

98 model year so pas is optional on some. Do you have power steering ?

If you do check fluid level and condition, and then belt condition / tension, although I would expect charging problems if it was loose.

Perhaps the UJ is covered in condensation that then froze ? :? , although that would only effect it a couple of 'turns' if that then it would be ok...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
paul whalley
My Cars:

Post by paul whalley »

yes it has pas fluid level is not quite on max just had a new tentoner and belt so thats ok an as for the uj froze its not that as it dose it all the time
I have only just noticed it as the weather has got cold
any other ideas?
Paul

Peugeot Boxer 2.0 HDI 53
Saab 93 1.9 (150) tid 57
peugeot boxer 2.0 HDI 54
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

What's the fluid condition like ?

It should be clean and red(ish)

If it has any 'strawberry milkshake' type properties to it (ie: pink or too thick) change it. :)

Although not that common now, I used to see a lot of these (and Partner's and 306's) where the owner had decided to fill the PAS reservoir with screenwash / water by mistake, I'm not saying you have, :) just that its not unknown for it to happen, given the location of the bottle.

They would then come in and complain. Usually tried to blame someone else etc, but that's off topic.

Anyway as above, please check fluid condition as best as you can. If you can see the pump (assuming its the top not lower mounted one) look at the pipes where they leave it, there should be no signs of leakage here.

Does it make any odd noise when steering ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
paul whalley
My Cars:

Post by paul whalley »

will have to look at condition tomorrow and what ever is in my one is blue (can you get bule fluid?) and the pump is a lower one so will have to get under it in the snow :roll: lol
it was making a squicking noise but that was on the passengers side due to worn bushes etc just need to get round to changeng them got mot in jan :cry: but other than that no
thanks
Paul

Peugeot Boxer 2.0 HDI 53
Saab 93 1.9 (150) tid 57
peugeot boxer 2.0 HDI 54
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

Does your have a rubber style diaphragm mounted mid way down the dip stick on the p/s fluid reservoir? these used to have a tendency to split - become disconnect with the dip stick & then fall down onto the reservoir & partially block the outlet/feed pipes, if yours doesn't have one (NOTE - citroen did away with this diaphragm due to them splitting so don't be tempted to replace it if it's not there) - then have a gentle route around inside the reservoir to see/feel if there's a rubber diaphragm blocking the fluid pipes.
Does the fault go away if you rev the vehicle? if it does that would suggest to me the pump is past it's best, I've also seen the seals fail on the rack resulting in p/s fluid leaking past the seals & into the gaiters ( = no obvious leak issues other than it's loosing p/s fluid).

For the record i've never seen blue power steering fluid but i've certainly seen blue screen wash & antifreeze/coolant :?
Music keeps me going.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

It should be ATF, dextron II I believe.
And that's almost universally a sort of red fluid that looks a bit like strawberry syrup (same sort of consistancy).

Not entirely sure why on earth you have anything that's blue in there...

If it turns out to be antifreeze, that could spell all kinds of bad things for your power steering system.

Really hope that isn't the case :(

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
paul whalley
My Cars:

Post by paul whalley »

dipstick? not got one of them just got a tank on the left will have to give it a good looking over when im not working
just thought i would say ive had the van a year now and never had this problem so if it was antifreez/ screen wash i would have thought the problem would have come up be for now?
thanks 4 the help if you think of anything else let me no plz
thanks
Paul

Peugeot Boxer 2.0 HDI 53
Saab 93 1.9 (150) tid 57
peugeot boxer 2.0 HDI 54
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

They're pretty simple hydraulic systems, methinks they can take a fair bit of whallop before they go wrong.

You could try draining out whatever fluid is in there and replacing it with fresh fluid and see how it goes.

Used racks for Berlingos ZXs Xsaras etc aren't expensive, but they are a real nightmare to replace.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
paul whalley
My Cars:

Post by paul whalley »

had a look today no leeks and its not blue it must be a tint on the bottle lol could it be down to wishbone and ball joints ect that are worn?
Paul

Peugeot Boxer 2.0 HDI 53
Saab 93 1.9 (150) tid 57
peugeot boxer 2.0 HDI 54
steve10665
New User
My Cars: Berlingo Mk1 2002 model 1.9D

Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V petrol

Saab Classic 900i

Re: 1998 berlingo 1.9D problem

Post by steve10665 »

This problem is most often caused by a stiff intermediate shaft needle roller bearing joint - the universal (spider) joint located just above the steering rack in the column leading up to the steering wheel. There is often a second similar joint inside the car but this doesn't get water and road dirt on it so tends not to give trouble.. What happens is that the joint(s) becomes dry after 10 years or so, and develop 'stiff spots'. I had this problem with a manual steering Ford Fiesta years ago and cured it by injecting oil into the four bearings using a hyperdermic syringe. I recently cured a power steering Berlingo of exactly the same problem - fiddly to do owing to lack of access but it worked! The universal joint is part of the collapsable steering column designed to buckle in the event of a crash. Simply coating the bearing with oil will not work because each of the needle roller bearings are protected by a stiff rubber cover - you need to puncture this with the needle and inject a little oil into each bearing. The bearings are a similar design to those found in prop shafts of rear wheel drive cars. In the old days they had grease nipples too!!!