Going to look at a used facelift C5 soon...advice?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lucklesspedestrian

Going to look at a used facelift C5 soon...advice?

Post by lucklesspedestrian »

Hi there

Because of the combination of a great safety rating, low running costs (1.6 HDi) and a lot of car for the money, a post-facelift 2005/6 C5 is top of my shopping list to replace our old Camry.

I'm thinking of going to look at a 1.6HDi VTR on an 06 plate this week from a small back street dealer and was just wondering what advice you would give in terms of what to look out for specific to this particular model? I'm guessing that because it's French I check all the electrics very carefully! What about the suspension? Is there any way to tell if it's functioning properly?

Any hints/tips or advice gratefully received

Thanks
Steve
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Welcome to the FCF :)

Choosing a C5 is a good choice, i really like them and find them to be very good cars.

As with ALL cars there are things which should be checked and looked for when purchasing.

- Electrics, as you have mentioned. On the whole they are good, however as they are multiplexed they can get confused. Check the functioning of the indicator and wiper stalks, check it works everything it should and nothing it should, like the indicators turning on the headlamps etc. Check windows as they are not too unknown to stop working.

- Engine, Citroen (PSA Actually) make some of the best diesel engines and as such they are very reliable and economical. However all facelift C5 diesels are equipped with a FAP filter (search for FAP filter on here if you want more info). This means it has Eolys fluid which needs topping up - this only seems to effect higher mileage 1.6s and its really only a service item. THhugh its worth noting that any potential running problems or limp modes might be caused by this - its usually an easy fix.

- Servicing, for some stupid reason Citroen have decided that the 1.6HDis can go for 20K miles between oil changes. They often dont take too well to this and so you really need to find one with a full service history and preferably one with servicing more frequent than 20K. 1.6s have been known to ruin turbos due to the small turbo oil feed pipes and long service intervals, meaning muck and old oil block the small pipes, starving the turbo. Its rare but known, for this reason the correct oil grade must be used too.

- Driving, check for any knocking noises from the suspension, both back and front, front would most likely be ARB drop links and is a very easy and cheap repair. Rear knocks can be worn bushes or bearings.

- Suspension, really C5s suspension doesn't go wrong, spheres last almost a lifetime and as there is far less pipework compared to previous big Citroens there are less pipes to corrode. The odd leak can occur but its not very common and its usually inexpensive to fix.

- Cambelts, supposed to be every 150K on these, but thats far too long, far too long for tensioners, water pumps let alone the belt. Id be thinking of more around 80K miles for peace of mind.

The above are generally rare problems but worth checking on a car your looking to buy. C5s are good cars, some have a few niggles but on the whole they are reliable and the engines tend to be superb. If you look around on other car forums many cars suffer far worse relaibility issues, which is why im onto my second C5 and why we have 3 of them in the household.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
lucklesspedestrian

Post by lucklesspedestrian »

that's really useful and very reassuring, many thanks and keep you posted!
Steve
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

According to my service manual, the 1.6 HDI oil change interval is 12,500 and 20,000 for the 2.0 and late model 2.2.

I voice Chris' enthusiasm about the C5 (he bought my first C5 and got the C5 bug!)

If you do a lot of miles I'd choose one of the larger diesels with 6 gears. They do about 2100 revs at 70mph so are very relaxed.

The facelifted models seem a lot more reliable compared to the older C5. I don't think they have any really weak points.

Ben
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hmm, you might well be correct, though i service a C4 1.6HDi and im sure that says 20K. Mind it went 3 years and 35K without a service so its probably going to give up before it should anyway.

I find the 16v HDis seem to store oil, as after a change its never clean, unlike the 2.0 8v HDi is. It must hold oil somewhere which dirties the new as soon as the engine starts.

The 2.0HDi 16v 138bhp is a great engine, the 6 speed box is nice, but it doesnt aid much in the way of MPG or refinement to the car over my 2.0 8v.

I have caught the bug, yes!

Im pretty sure my next car will be another C5, a facelifted example, probably the 2.0HDi 138bhp engine with VTR spec. Id consider a 1.6 but id like something with a little more pull than my current 2.0HDi 110, so the 138 would be nice. Or the 2.2 173 obviously, but they are harder to find and insurance is highish for me.

If i found the right car id swap soon.

Our facelifted C5 2.0HDI 16v 138 has been no trouble at all, not needed anything doing other than servicing and tyres. Its been the most reliable C5 we have had, up till now anyway. But it is the yougest and lowest mileage C5 too, so that might explain it.

If you want a facelifted C5 without a FAP filter - id like that but its not the be all - the 1.6HDi 'Design' doesnt have a FAP, its the only one not to.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

1.6 HDi's have turbo problems due oil blockages.
I think it is more common on ones that are services every 20,000, and ones that have had the wrong oil.

Ford use this engine, and have had the same problems, as part of their oil service they reccomend an oil flush too.

If its been serviced by the dealers before you got it then you should be fine. If its been serviced by anyone else then I think I would find another.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Although my C5's service interval is 20k, I change the oil every 6-7k miles.

I recommend you do the same. The £30 it costs me to change the oil is nothing compared to the price of a turbo!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

bencowell wrote:Although my C5's service interval is 20k, I change the oil every 6-7k miles.

I recommend you do the same. The £30 it costs me to change the oil is nothing compared to the price of a turbo!
I think I will copy you in that. And use the same oil stated in manual.
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I also service all of our C5s every 6K miles, and use a Forte engine flush on every service. I also use this on the 1.6HDi C4 I service and thats been no problems.

Yes, our 2.0 16v HDI should be on 20K services too, however its actually been dealer serviced every 12K before we got it, which was a bonus.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

I have now covered 12k miles in my 56 plate C5. Other than a service, it has had a few niggled, including both front balljoints and ARB link replaced cheap job though)

Aircon recharged and a duff flexible pipe replaced (a common faullt is that one of the aircon pipes behind the radiator fails). The aircon on my car still does not operate below 5 degrees C.

One tyre pressure sensor went duff (not sure if these are fitted to the VTR but they are prone to corroding).Oh and I had 4 new Michelins fitted, which hurt. A lot.

Mine will need rear pads and discs soon; if you are buying a C5, check that the rear brakes are not binding.

The knob on the driver's side electric seat broke off. A new one from the dealer was £4.

Other than that, the car's been a great luxury barge; quiet and reasonably economical, averaging between 40 and 50mpg.

I would recommend a 2.0-litre over a 1.6 though. The gearchange on the 1.6 is awful, with a very long and vague shif; the 2,0 6-speed is much sweeter and I cannot see MPG in the real world being much less.

R
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

triumphtoledo wrote:The aircon on my car still does not operate below 5 degrees C.

R
Is that not normal? My previous C5 would not turn it on when the temp was around 4 or 5 degrees. Except when you put it on demist, then it would come on untill you changed it back to auto.
I believe my VTR is the same.
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

My 2001 C5 does that too. comes on with demist only below 4 or 5 degrees.

I have found the C5 to be superb. Recently completed a 150 mile trip with the mini on a car transporter and averaged 38 mpg! I will definitely get another one when the time is right
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have read that the C5 aircon is disabled below 5°C to prevent the evaporator freezing up.

I think this appears to be correct as I noticed my car starting to steam up a few days ago when I set it on recirculation. Outside temperature was -9°C.