RWD superior? errrmmm.......

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

RWD superior? errrmmm.......

Post by old'uns »

stolen from another forum, but worth a smile

currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

:lol: Must've got up that hill with them, right?

Must be the same kind of driver that reckons forward progress will
be improved by more power, revving the nuts off the engine. :roll:
That's where it starts to get interesting!

Andrew
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Oh my god I laughed!
Reminds me of what I said to Jim earlier today about a woman who said she's put bags of sand in the boot of her car to improve traction.
One of her colleagues said "But isn't your car front wheel drive?" to which she replied "I don't know, what does that mean?"
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote: Must be the same kind of driver that reckons forward progress will
be improved by more power, revving the nuts off the engine.
Plenty of those about. Neighbours Beemer could not reverse up on to his drive this evening. Frantic revving and wheelspin.

It's an auto. It made far better progress just by popping it in R and letting it creep with foot well away from the accelerator...

Trouble is, it's a counter-intuitive action and it can be hard to get through to some who persist in trying to rev themselves out of trouble.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Intelligent knowledgeable driving needs to be drummed into all new
drivers at the start and it made clear other road user's safety is their
responsibility too as I feel there's so much ignorant selfish driving
on the roads. In fact down right thoughtless if not dangerous.

Little chance mind when many drivers cannot seemingly park their
vehicle properly in Sainsburys let alone cope with adverse weather
driving conditions... #-o
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

I love it!! :lol: :lol:

1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Its just idiocy.

I've managed to get around in a RWD Mercedes Sprinter in these conditions. Last year and a fortnight ago when we had snow and then it turned to sheet ice.

Best of all, carrying groceries around means we never get near fully loaded, far from it and at times the back is all but empty.

As Andrew has rightly pointed out, it needs to be drummed in until their ears start bleeding. Unfortunately, these people still won't listen even if you hit them in the face with incontrovertible evidence.

It annoys the hell out of me because I quite like a drive in the snow and its idiots that spoil it. Its not because the snow makes roads impassable, its the complete eejits who get stuck and block the roads. Our roads are a mess due to the standard of driving. Accidents would fall if the powers that be focussed on educating drivers rather than pursuing the speed kills mantra.
Xac wrote:One of her colleagues said "But isn't your car front wheel drive?" to which she replied "I don't know, what does that mean?"
This is another example of the complete ignorance of people and that picture Robert makes me want to find and slap some sense into that driver.

I'm going to stop before I give myself an aneurysm.

:rant2: :oops:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

These ultra low profile tyres do not aid good grip in snow / ice.

From my limited experience (I have had a couple of RWD cars in the past) , it seems to me that although they are more likely to lose grip (RWD) they are easier to control, whereas a FWD is less likely to get out of control, but more trouble when it does.

I do pride myself on driving sensibly though I'll be honest, and yes I do like a drive in the snow sometimes too.

I was slightly caught out the other day, had a little slide but was black ice (stopped before the junction and was only going about 15mph anyway) no real problem, although it did wake me up a bit.

I do wonder if the excess of driver 'aids' are not really helping people learn any type of proper control.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That BMW picture is a hoot. Maybe he likes cutting circles?
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Toby_HDi wrote:Its just idiocy.

I've managed to get around in a RWD Mercedes Sprinter in these conditions. Last year and a fortnight ago when we had snow and then it turned to sheet ice.

Best of all, carrying groceries around means we never get near fully loaded, far from it and at times the back is all but empty.

As Andrew has rightly pointed out, it needs to be drummed in until their ears start bleeding. Unfortunately, these people still won't listen even if you hit them in the face with incontrovertible evidence.

It annoys the hell out of me because I quite like a drive in the snow and its idiots that spoil it. Its not because the snow makes roads impassable, its the complete eejits who get stuck and block the roads. Our roads are a mess due to the standard of driving. Accidents would fall if the powers that be focussed on educating drivers rather than pursuing the speed kills mantra.
Xac wrote:One of her colleagues said "But isn't your car front wheel drive?" to which she replied "I don't know, what does that mean?"
This is another example of the complete ignorance of people and that picture Robert makes me want to find and slap some sense into that driver.

I'm going to stop before I give myself an aneurysm.

:rant2: :oops:
yes, yes and yes to all the above, i love a drive in the snow and while ive been out and about in the van today no problems exept idiots in 4WD's who stop on hills to lock the diff up :evil: :evil: i had to reverse down an icy hill around some muppet in a fiesta and a BMW aswell to get to the bottom to start again because of said wally, this happens a lot and it pisses me off :evil: if my FWD loaded to the hilt van can get up the hill with 2WD and a free diff i dont see why you cant do the same with 4WD and an unlocked diff.

.............And on a lighter note, i got some good M+S tyres on the van Wednesday and i take it all back, she's as good as can be expected now, got a bonus in that the ABS rolled over and died after its first use too which made stopping a lot easier and drivnig in general more comfortable, i think it can stay broke till the weather improves too

:D

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Last winter when the snow was here, i went to a very quiet contry walkway to walk the dogs, the carpark was about 6 inches deep in snow. I pulled in without a problem, driving past a guy in a Renault Megane CC who was out with his shovel. I parked the C5 and went over to ask if he wanted a hand.

He said he has been there an hour trying to get out, his car was surrounded by black snow where he had worn down to the tarmac but due to the ice duild up he had formed from spinning the wheels the car wouldnt move, the black was the remains of his tyres, which were worn well past the markers.

He had done the sensible thing and got his floor mats out to aid grip, he had them under the Meganes rear wheels!

After putting them under the front wheels and telling him to use the clutch and no accelerator, just gently gently and with two of us pushing he got out in no time.

How can people not know which end is driving their car!

Its a bit alarming that the BMW driver thinks its possibly front wheel drive!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

That number plate reads as.............

SL08 AWN

With the SL08 looking like SLOB, although in this case SLOW would be more appropriate! :wink:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No, he was just born (bawn) a bit slow.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

As a possible defence of the stupid, maybe the driver thought it would be
FWD as it's only a pretend/wannabe BMW after all? A 'BMWLite' so to speak. :D
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

addo wrote:No, he was just born (bawn) a bit slow.
It's the bawn identity how to identify yourself as a plank/plonker.

Step 1............ Get the dinky toy/model beemer.
Step 2............ Fit traction aid to wrong end.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.