iPod for Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

iPod for Xantia

Post by davewithington »

Has anyone connected an iPod to the MK1 Xantia stereo?

If not, any idea if the connection from an external CD would be a normal 3.5mm jack?
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've got an MP3 player connected up with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead, works lovely :D

A very forward thinking addition to the head unit!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Yes I use a Parrot MKi 9200 on both MK1 and MK2 Xantia's, it works a treat and gives you a hard wired bluetooth phone kit into the bargain, the kit can be bought for about £135 on Ebay delivered and simply plugs straight into the radio connection plugs via breakout sockets and if plugged into one of the three plugs on a roaming lead it also charges the iPod/iPhone.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Ipod!

Post by MTND »

davewithington wrote:Has anyone connected an iPod to the MK1 Xantia stereo?

If not, any idea if the connection from an external CD would be a normal 3.5mm jack?
I have a ten CD changer pluggged into the back of my radio in my Xantia and I plug my android phone into the front which plays through the speakers?! :D
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I miss the 3.5 jack input on the S2 Clarion unit with CD changer.. Ive a 10gig IPOD classic, and used it all the time on the Black SX TD... I may just swap the unit in the HDi for a S1 unit, Id rather have my selection of music then the steering controls working..

Then again, if your useing an IPOD the steering controls are no good except for volume...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Cassette adaptor was good in Juliet, but now I have a bluetooth handsfree kit with fm transmitter for the music/internet radio on my phone.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
yoseff
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: (Gone) 97' Citroen Xantia Break 2.1 TD VSX
(Gone) 98' Citroen Xantia 2.1TD Activa
(Gone) 03' Citroen C5 Break 2.0 Hdi
(Gone) 04' Citroen C5 Break 2.2 Hdi Exclusive
(The Metallic Go Kart) 01' Citroen Saxo 1.1 Exclusive
11' Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0 Hdi 163 Exclusive
00' Citroen Xantia Activa 2.0 hdi

This can be usefull :)

Post by yoseff »

I put it in portuguese for now, but you can use an translator or later on i can help with translation if needed:

"Por muito que gostamos dos nossos Xantias e em especial para aqueles, como eu, que apreciam pequenos pormenores de fábrica do carro como o sistema de som com comandos no volante, a verdade é que a evolução não perdoa e coisas como o leitor de cassetes deixam de fazer sentido.
Contudo, o objectivo deste DIY é colocar mais uma funcionalidade no rádio. Uma entrada AUX, aproveitando o deck de cassetes e sem danificar este, ficando o radio com as 3 funções originais (rádio, cassete e caixa de CD's) mais o AUX. E o melhor de tudo, uma qualidade de som ao melhor nível.

Material necessário (para além do rádio):

:arrow: 1 cassete velha
:arrow: 1,5 metros de cabo audio de 2 vias + malha
:arrow: Ficha macho de audio tipo "Jack" 3,5
:arrow: Ferro de soldar
:arrow: Solda
:arrow: Berbequim
:arrow: Broca de metal 10mm
:arrow: Multímetro

Para começar, o rádio em questão é este

Começa-se por retirar a cobertura superior do rádio e retirar os 4 parafusos que suportam o leitor de cassetes, conforme ilustrado na imagem

Com cuidado, puxar o leitor de cassetes para cima por forma a desencaixar este. O radio fica com este aspecto

Pegando no leitor de cassetes e olhando para a parte de trás, existe uma placa de circuito com vários contactos. Existem 3 contactos, um com a inscrição A-G (Audio Ground), outro com R-CH (Righ channel) e outro com L-CH (Left Channel).
Descarna-se uma das pontas do cabo de audio e respectivas pontas dos 2 condutores (preto e vermelho) e solda-se o condutor preto no contacto L-CH, o vermelho no R-CH e a malha envolvente no A-G

Depois, desaparafusar o dissipador de calor existente na parte de trás do rádio e fazer um furo com a broca de 10mm por forma a passar a outra extremidade do cabo pelo furo e assim o fio ficar virado para trás.
Descarnar a outra ponta do fio e soldar os 3 condutores nos contactos da ficha Jack 3,5. ATENÇÃO: a malha envolvente do cabo de audio deve ficar ligada ao terminal da ficha também periférico (ver imagem em baixo). Para garantir qual o contacto correspondente no interior da ficha, utilizar o multímetro para ver qual deles dá continuidade.

Depois, é encaixar novamente o leitor de cassetes no rádio, aparafusá-lo, montar de novo o dissipador de calor com o fio a passar por ele e fechar o rádio. No momento de montar o rádio no carro, é passar o fio por trás dos comandos da chaufagem e colocar a ficha no espaço existente sob o cinzeiro.
Agora, para que isto funcione, é necessário ter uma cassete inserida no leitor mas que não dê som. Para isso, puxa-se toda a fita da cassete velha, corta-se as pontas por forma a ficar sem fita e insere-se no leitor. Assim, este vai assumir a presença de cassete e permitir o modo TAPE quando queremos ligar o leitor de MP3.
A qualidade de som é perfeita, não ficam fios inestéticos à vista e com a vantagem de manter os comandos e rádio de origem :) .

André"

Taken from Forumcitroen.com.

I will do the same to mine, but i was not the one who made this... I just pass it to you ;)

You can see the original in here:

http://www.forumcitroen.com/phpbb3/view ... 32&t=10308
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Excellent post Yoseff, the following is a Google translation of the Portuguese text;

As much as we like our Xantia and especially for those like me who appreciate small details as the car factory sound system with steering wheel controls, the truth is that evolution does not forgive and things like cassette player make no sense.
However, the goal of this DIY is to put more functionality on the radio. An AUX input, using the tape deck and without damaging it, leaving the radio with the three original functions (radio, cassette and CD box) plus the AUX. And best of all, sound quality at the best level.

Materials needed (besides the radio):

An old tape
1.5 meter audio cable 2-way mesh
Audio male plug type "Jack" 3.5
Solderingiron
Solder
Drill
Metal drill 10mm
Multimeter

For starters, the radio in question is this It begins by removing the top cover of the radio and remove the 4 screws that support the cassette, as shown in picture

Gently pull the tape player up so undock this.
The radio appears like this

Taking the tape deck and looking at the back, there is a circuit board with several contacts. There are 3 contacts, with an enrollment AG (Audio Ground), another R-CH (Righ channel) and one with L-CH (Left Channel).

Fleshes to one end of the audio cable and the respective ends of two wires (black and red) and solder the black wire in contact L-CH, the CH-R in red and the shield surrounding the AG

Then unscrew the existing heat sink on the back of the radio and make a hole with the drill 10mm in order to pass the other end through the hole so the wire face rearward.

Strip the other end of the wire and solder the 3 wires plug contacts Jack 3.5. ATTENTION: the mesh surrounding the audio cable should be connected to the terminal also peripheral (see picture below). To ensure that the corresponding contact within the plug, use the multimeter to see which one gives continuity.

Then it is fit again on the radio cassette player, screw it, reassemble the heatsink with the wire going through it and close the radio. At the time of mounting the radio in the car, is to pass the wire behind the commands chaufagem and put the plug in the space under the ashtray.

Now, for this to work, you must have a tape inserted in the player but that does not give sound. To do this, pull all the old cassette tape, cut off the tips so as to run out of tape and is part of the reader. So this will take the presence of tape and allow TAPE mode when we connect the MP3 player.

The sound quality is perfect, no unsightly wires are in sight and with the advantage of keeping the commands and radio source.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH