Xantia - central locking buttons

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gavin1

Xantia - central locking buttons

Post by Gavin1 »

When I bought my Xantia the central locking buttons on the inside of the door were missing. I've got some more from a scrap yard but can't replace them - has anyone ever done this and can suggest a method?
Gavin
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Do you have the little clips inside the buttons? If you do they need to be set so the peg is in the bottom hole, then the button is slipped on top of the rod and pushed down, when they will lock into place. There are two different types of clip however. One is deeper than the other. If you have the wrong clips they won't lock into place because they won't contact the bar in the button carrier set into the trim. I modified some of the slimmer clips with plastic padding to make them contact, but if you have a cit dealer nearby get the proper ones, they aren't expensive and it will make life a lot easier.
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

From memory it's almost impossible to replace them with the door open.
Close the door and lock it then just slide it on the rod.
mipster
Alex S

Post by Alex S »

I've replaced the buttons some time ago. Here is the sequence:
1.First of all make sure that clip is in lower hole
2.Then close the door and insert the button and push it down firmly to the end.
3.Pull up the button half way.
4.And finally open the door from inside.
I did it also on my previous zx and it is also the same on peugeot 306.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

The new lock buttons from Citroen are £2.89 for the fronts each, and £2.04 for the rears, part numbers are 96029296ZL and 915971 resepectively. I bought a couple in April.
You need to lock the doors to get them to go on. Alex S method is correct, but they need a real sharp push down to get them to hold. A mechanic told me in their workshop they push the tabs in with the end of a biro rather than a screwdriver to remove them, as the screwdriver damages the tiny clip on the bottom.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Good tip about the biro. I must point out again though that there are TWO different clips available, and they are nor interchangable. They will fit, but if you have the thin clip in where it should be a thick one it won't grab the rod.