Xantia - Rock hard front

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Catalin
My Cars:

Xantia - Rock hard front

Post by Catalin »

Need some help, please.
The car is a Xantia from 1993, Hydractive.
The problem is that the front of the car is ALWAYS hard. The spheres are new (OEM) and have tried another pair with the same result. The struts do not stick, as the car rises and falls Ok.
Is this a common problem, how can I solve it?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Catalin,
How hard is hard? The Xantia is generally thought of as harder than a BX (or other earlier hydraulic Cit), and the hydractive cars tend to be a bit harder than 'normal' ones.
However, here are some possbilities:
On my Xantia (non hydractive) the ride felt choppy at the front so I changed the spheres without much effect. I then greased the struts, and the ride has since smoothed out quite a lot. There was no real noise (slight graunch right at the top of the travel), but they were obviously stiff - I wonder if this is due to the fact they never go down due to the anti-sink.
Did you change the centre sphere as well - if this is shot then you will effectively be in hard mode all the time.
The centre sphere is isolated by an electrovalve, and the default state (ie non energised) for the electrovalve is hard mode. It's possible that the electrovalve is stuck in 'hard' mode, or the cable is broken. Note that the valve works on a modulated voltage to reduce heat build up, so it might be difficult to test if you are getting voltage without an oscilliscope(!)....
Might be possible to extract the fault codes from the suspension computer, but I have no idea what they will tell you!!
Not sure this is going to help you much, but some things to think about anyway!
Richard
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

As Richard has stated above the suspensions default mode is firm mode. Have you tried switching the suspension onto firm mode by way of the switch next to the handbrake? If the light does not illuminate, check fuse number 8 in the engine bay under the cover behind the battery. It may be somthing as simple as that.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Richard
more detail on greasing the struts please, how and exactly what did you use ?
Thanks
mark_sp
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

This sounds like the tip described on the BX Q&A forum which I carried out the other day., with good results.
(1) Wash out front wheelarches and strut surrounds.
(2) Set car to highest position
(3) Pull the strut gaiters up as high as they'll go to expose the top of the outer surface of the struts.
(4) Grease the exposed area with standard automotive grease.
(5) Slide gaiters back down again.
(6) Perform Citroen "aerobics" several times.
This made quite a difference to my slightly graunchy BX struts.
PLease correct me if anything here is wrong, Richard (not that there's much to get wrong.... )
David
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This trick of breasing the strut works nicely for a little while - you'll have to do it again fairly soon!
jeremy