Xantia's How much has yours cost you in a five year period?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia's How much has yours cost you in a five year period?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

excluding fuel, road tax and tyres what has your xantia cost you to keep it on the road in the last five years, do you love the car so much that your pockets are bottomless?
appolagies I just though there might be some interesting answers here.

I reckon mine has cost me about £1,000 in that space of time.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Excluding all routine servicing, which would include brakes, oil and filters, mine has cost me no more than £500 and I've had it 5 years, that includes 5 new sphere's last month.
Last edited by HDI on 13 Dec 2010, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a hard one...

Actually, very little although I' don't keep a count.

Not counting the cost of restoration, this is mine...

Old V6 has consumed a steering rack gaiter, an auxiliary belt and a crank pulley.

Activa has consumed a steering rack gaiter, two spheres and a rear ram. A new rad is waiting in the wings. Knowing what I know now, I could have saved the rear ram.

I'm struggling to think of anything else...

All my Xantias, once brought up to condition, have been very undemanding of spares...

A good one, well maintained, can be very economical indeed to run...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

In the last 6 years my V6 has done 100,000 miles and has had: A set of drop-links £30. A set of front disks and a couple of sets of pads, say £150, 5 (five) airbag connectors (although 3 possibly due to misaligned steering rack, and all were second hand) say £100. Starter motor (from the V6 I broke), but say £75. Radiator £130. Heater matrix £40. Indicator switch £30. 3 CD changers £100. 3 spark plug changes (including gasket) £100?? Timing belt kit £200.
Transmission multi-switch (from V6 I broke) £10. Transmission rebuild parts £600 (could have been much cheaper with used parts). Coolant header tanks 2 second hand £25. Top engine mount second hand £20. 1 rear hub £30. A couple of LHM changes £50.

So about £1750, which is about what the car cost 6 years ago, plus several weekends of my time (and a few years off Jim's lifespan with the transmission).
[edit] A post below has reminded me that I have replaced the exhaust center and rear sections (twice), another £300. And one battery. And 2 S/H rad fans and an A/C condenser, and 2 A/C recharges...

My previous 2.0 VSX auto did 60,000 miles under my ownership and cost about £400 in repairs, on a professional cambelt change plus 2 sets of droplinks and an abs sensor.
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 13 Dec 2010, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well lets see...

It's had

HP pump
Alternator
Starter motor
Radiator
Doseur valve
All spheres
Front lower arms
Track rod ends
Ball joints
Header tank
Drop links
Discs and pads all round
Wiper blades
Tailgate Struts
Spark Plugs
LHM and new filters
Aircon regas
Heater Matrix
Temp Sensor
Throttle sensor
Cambelt and pulleys
Water pump
Complete Exhaust
4 Tyres
Filters of all varieties
Oil, Engine and Autobox
Aux belt and tensioner
Crank pulley
Engine mount
ARB bushes
Coolant

and a partridge in a pear tree.

And that's just off the top of my head, I know there will be many more bits and pieces if I went through the records.

:roll:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

amatures, all of you! :lol:

I wont dwell on the XM mainly because its off topic but that has cost around £4k to buy, modify and maintain over the last 7 years ive had her. i was going through some reciepts for the Activa last night, heres some of them from the last 5 years

£244 replace dozer Valve
£50 inspection
£587 NSF sphere, rear spheres,front discs & pads acc
£253 ns headlamp and ns rear lamp unit
£700 bodykit
£93 hydrorincage
£140 new rear discs and pads
£243 renew heater hose ass and attend to return line leak
£258 replace acc sphere renew LHM fit new dipstick
£358 diagnostic, fit new plugs, lambda probe, ecu temp sensor, exhaust job
£1000 supply and fit uprated intercooler and boost control valve/guage
£452 chip tuned
£800 Active control rods and links replaced, new hydraulic pump, acc sphere

Then i bought it for £400 and i think to get it back into A1 condition its going to set me back £500 and around 2 weeks solid work spread out over the odd sunday. so it will cost me £900 to buy a tweeked but perfect Activa and get the fun of playing with it too.

Do you all feel better now:lol:

TBh there have been no real problems and just like the XM most of the previouse owners dosh went on mods, cost wise its usual scary dealer prices, diy/self repair looks very apealing against £45/hr dealer rates and new parts costs

D
Last edited by Deanxm on 13 Dec 2010, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

wow people do luv their cars,

I suspose I'd better put up my list, here goes,

front brake discs 2 pairs pads six pairs (change them every year for winter) new front discs due next summer with new pads.
catalytic converter removed and replaced with straight pipe from earlier xantia (all done by quickfit).shame it still has EGR & computer.
rear discs one pair pads 2 pairs
N/S rear arm bushes.
O/S front driveshaft.
two new steel front wheels.
drive shaft seals on gearbox ends
New clutch (original citroen clutch)
New clutch clip (actually fitted myself).
New rear height corrector and dog bone.
hydraulic leak repaired from front accumulator
replacement drivers door
2 sets of spheres 1st set were recon only lasted four years.
2 cambelts
2 water pumps changed with cambelts better safe than sorry.
2 aux belts
2 tensioner pulleys and spring assemblies.
2 static aux pulleys.
alloy radiator.
Drivers seat (whilst old one was welded and rebuilt).
All the usual fluids oil changes every 3K. 2x LHM tank flushes.
Gear oil changed twice molyslip added.
rear wiper motor from scrapp yard.
fuel system modified for running on waste veggy oil, electric pump, flat plate heat exchanger, non-return valve and delphi non-heated fuel filter replace old fuel filter housing, electric pump needed as distance pump pulls fuel is dramatically increased by flat plate heat exchanger.

I am sure there are a few more bits and pieces and my original figure of £1000 is a bit off its more like £2,000 in total as some was done by a mobile citroen mechanic and martin @ Pleiades, bigger jobs like cambelt clutch and rear arm bushes.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 14 Dec 2010, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Even £400 a year is still a bargain, less than one month's payment for my Laguna 2 and close to the price of a major service for it, and that was nearly 10 years ago!
Add the extra saving of running on veg, and the drop in costs once the big jobs have been done and you'll be hard pressed to find better value for money :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

I cant say i have had my car a year yet as i got it in the summer,but i have spent a fair wack to get it to how it is now !

first trip to garage £180 2 x rear spheres,1x rear accumilator & sort height corrector.
second trip to garage other rear spher,fluid change £100
Clutch,driveshaft seals,fluid £185
timing belt kit & water pump plus labour £130
replacement wing (correct colour) £50
Brake pads & service £80
couple of tyres £30
There are lots more bits, but i still like the car and know there is more to do :oops:
After righting this i see why i am poor :lol: :lol: :lol:
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
falling-out-with-my-car

Oh No xac I am not complainning at all just look at DeanXM's pricey list above I bet he has got deep pockets or avey thich chequebook, :D
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 13 Dec 2010, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

If my good lady ever saw this thread my time here would be short lived thats for sure, in fact if i never had a car there would not be the need to work every saturday :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Xantia 2.1TD 5 years 3 months ownership 109695 miles £17,729.96 total cost. of which £2,900.00 original purchase, £9268.40 diesel, £3,055.91 Insurance, road tax, MOT fees. Leaving £2505.64 for maintenance and repairs. So £500 a year which includes an engine rebuild after a cambelt problem. Not bad. Current Xantia HDi is up to £1225 repairs and maintenance after 2 1/2 years (and 64,000miles) ownership so I guess about the same if it carries on at this rate. BX before was about the same as well so that's about £40 per month. Not bad
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

yes that is cheap motoring, still one hell of a lot of money when you tally up fuel and servicing but then cars are expensive things in this day and age.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's some serious record keeping there..... :lol:

In 3.5 years and 63k miles mine has had

Rear box (£100 ish)
Alternator (£110)
Repaired main exhaust section (about a £10 and 3 evenings work)
Repaired rear wiper (About £5 and an afternoon's work)
Timing belt kit etc waiting to be fitted (£110 or so)
New feed to the blower relay (20p for a fuse)
Fuel filter complete (£55)
Track rod ends (£20)
About 3 OS brake light bulbs (£1 or so)
Other than that routine tyres, wipers, oil changes

That's seriously cheap motoring - it would have been even better if the alternator bearings had not thrown the towel in after a mere 105k..... :roll:

BANG! OMG what was that...... touch wood it doesn't then!
Richard W
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I tend to just put the receipts in the history folder and forget about how much everything has cost me. To be honest, I don't think its been too bad, single most expensive bits were the strut tops (around £90 each new at the time, doesn't seem such a bad price looking back :lol:) and parts 'n' labour for the clutch.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair