NEw Key

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

NEw Key

Post by boristhespie »

Only have 1 key for one of my C5s and I don't like that. Especially when I am abroad a lot etc.

I note you have to have transponder in key for imobiliser and for this to be programmed.

a/ Don;t have key code so will have to pay Dealer (ggggrrrrr) for this £10 I have heard.

b/ Don't want to have to pay 130-160 for new key from these guys and have looked on web.

There are companies which say they can cut and programme transponder keys for Citroen if they have the code.

Anyone used any such company. There prices are way off Dealers.

eg

http://www.muswellhill-locksmiths.co.uk ... emote.html

http://www.keypit.co.uk/autolocksmith/citroen.html

http://www.rockleylocksafe.co.uk/key-cu ... r/citroen/
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Just found this online may be of use to someone.#

SARA, PICASSO, XANTIA, SYNERGIE, EVASION

CENTRAL DOOR LOCK (1 BUTTON PLIP KEY)

Procedure

1. Ensure that all the doors are unlocked using the key.

2. Press and hold the remote button until the LED stops flashing.

3. After releasing the button, the LED will light constantly.

4. Press the remote button once, and the LED will extinguish.

5. Open the door and hold the remote near the Ignition switch, and press the button once.

6. Now turn the ignition ON, and wait 10 seconds then turn the ignition OFF.

7. After 5 seconds, the remote should now be operating.

CENTRAL DOOR LOCK with DEADLOCKING (2 BUTTON PLIP KEY)

Procedure

1. Ensure all doors are unlocked using the key.

2. Press and HOLD the large remote button while the LED flashes continuously for 20 seconds. After 20 seconds press the small deadlock button once while still holding the large button.

3. The LED will stop flashing.

4. Release the large button and the LED will light constantly.

5. Press the large button one time, and the LED will go out.

6. Open the door and hold the remote near the Ignition switch, and press the large button one time.

7. Now turn the ignition ON, and wait 10 seconds then turn ignition OFF.

8. After 5 seconds, remote should now operate.

BERLINGO 98 >

Procedure

1. Turn the Ignition switch to accessory position using the key, without the remote attached.

2. Hold the remote towards the receiver at the front of the vehicle.

3. Press the large button, then the small button on the remote.

4. Repeat for second remote key if required.

5. Turn ignition OFF.

6. After 5 seconds, remote should now operate.

SAXO

Procedure

1. Unlock the vehicle using a Key.

2. Press the LOCK button 2 times within 20 seconds of unlocking the vehicle.

XSARA / XSARA PICASSO / C5 (Oval flip key) – To Resynchronise Existing Remotes ONLY!

Procedure

1. Turn Ignition ON.

2. Press and HOLD the LOCK button for 5 seconds.

3. Turn Ignition OFF.

4. After 5 seconds test remote key.

DISPATCH

Procedure

1. Turn Ignition ON, and wait for LED to go out.(If fitted)

2. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button with 20 seconds.

3. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK on other remotes within 10 seconds.

4. LED should light for 1 second.

5. Check remotes for operation.
C'est pas possible!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

XSARA / XSARA PICASSO / C5 (Oval flip key) – To Resynchronise Existing Remotes ONLY!
Note the qualifier - this won't work if you buy a new key.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Now that you have a Lexia you can do the synchronising of a new key yourself.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Would that be easy to do?

Buy a blank transponder key, get it cut and then Lexia it?

Sounds dangerous!
C'est pas possible!
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I can only tell you what I have managed to do (or not do!) so far.

On my Xsara, which came with two keys, one simple and one with the remote plip, I managed to unsynchronise the plip key while it was being demonstrated to me. Later on I reynchronised both keys back to the car and then, separately, resynchronised the remote unlocking (a non-Lexia process).

On the C5, which only came with a single, plip, key I had a blank cut on a blade with intention of putting this into a plip keyfob from a scrappie. Physically this worked but, because the key fob had already been synchronised to car before, was unable to synch the fob a second time. There is a thread a few months old about keys, the need for a new transponder and various other things. The long and short of it is that the key fob needs a new transponder chip (Note this is NOT the same as the remote unlocking) and that the Lexia can then synch this to the car.

If you think of the fob as the bit of plastic the key blade physically sticks into and the oval bit for the remote plip they are really two separate items. The transponder chip is inside the plastic bit where the key blade comes out of.

For your direct question, I would think yes. Buy a new blank key with unprogrammed transponder, get it cut and then synchronise your two keys. You can't just add another key - you have synch the two (or more - up to six I think) at the same time.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Found the thread I was referring to. Have a read and you'll see that there has been much head scratching on this subject.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... sc&start=0

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: NEw Key

Post by MikeT »

boristhespie wrote:a/ Don;t have key code so will have to pay Dealer (ggggrrrrr) for this £10 I have heard.

No promises but if you PM me your VIN code, I'll ask my contact to provide your keycode, FOC.

TO ALL: Has anyone got an old Xantia key with transponder they no longer require? I'd like to clear up this uncertainty for myself as my tiny brain can't accept a passive RFID device being refused. I know there's at least one unused xantia key out there in wild, as I was only given two of the three programmed to my car :lol:
Rockley Lock & Safe

Post by Rockley Lock & Safe »

boristhespie wrote:Only have 1 key for one of my C5s and I don't like that. Especially when I am abroad a lot etc.

I note you have to have transponder in key for imobiliser and for this to be programmed.

a/ Don;t have key code so will have to pay Dealer (ggggrrrrr) for this £10 I have heard.

b/ Don't want to have to pay 130-160 for new key from these guys and have looked on web.

There are companies which say they can cut and programme transponder keys for Citroën if they have the code.

Anyone used any such company. There prices are way off Dealers.

eg

http://www.rockleylocksafe.co.uk/key-cu ... r/Citroën/
This is my company, I will try to answer any questions that I can.
MikeT wrote:TO ALL: Has anyone got an old Xantia key with transponder they no longer require? I'd like to clear up this uncertainty for myself as my tiny brain can't accept a passive RFID device being refused. I know there's at least one unused Xantia key out there in wild, as I was only given two of the three programmed to my car Laughing
To be clear, these are not passive RFID chips, there is a 2 way communication between them when they become programmed to the car, without going into too much boring detail, I can tell the difference between a 'virgin' transponder and a used transponder when I read them with my key copier and so can the car.

Remotes can be reprogrammed to the car on most French cars but newer transponders cannot ever be programmed to more than one car.

Hope that is a little clearer.
Rockley Lock & Safe
Vehicle Locksmith
07411 30 66 66
http://rockley.info/vehicle-locksmith
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

^letting this stand as it is.
It is a decent informative response to the questions raised and the link was posted previously in the question.
Rockley Lock & Safe

Thank you for the very balanced moderation.

I have no intentions of spamming the forum, noticed this link when I was checking my site links.

I am genuinely happy to answer key/immobiliser related questions (by PM/email ideally) with no sales pitch.

Car key/transponder technology is moving rapidly and is very difficult to know exactly which key or remote does what, even for professional locksmiths.

I get 4-5 calls a day from people have bought keys/remotes on eBay and can't follow the instructions provided by the seller as a used key will never programme unless it has a 'virgin' transponder swapped in.

Hopefully I can help people to avoid buying unuseable keys.
Rockley Lock & Safe
Vehicle Locksmith
07411 30 66 66
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Rockley Lock & Safe wrote:
MikeT wrote:TO ALL: Has anyone got an old Xantia key with transponder they no longer require? I'd like to clear up this uncertainty for myself as my tiny brain can't accept a passive RFID device being refused. I know there's at least one unused Xantia key out there in wild, as I was only given two of the three programmed to my car Laughing
To be clear, these are not passive RFID chips, there is a 2 way communication between them when they become programmed to the car, without going into too much boring detail, I can tell the difference between a 'virgin' transponder and a used transponder when I read them with my key copier and so can the car.

Remotes can be reprogrammed to the car on most French cars but newer transponders cannot ever be programmed to more than one car.

Hope that is a little clearer.
Hi, good to have someone willing to give technical details, welcome :lol:

May I assume your response is in relation to Boris's C5 dilemna (the OP) or does your statement hold true of my request also (for a Xantia transponder)? As this is what I need to get clear in my head - where and what the transitions are from one transponder type to another, in relation to Citroens?

Can you also please clearly define "virgin" and "used", as I understand there is a process to write the initial code to the transponder itself (is it still virgin after this?), then there is the process to match that coded transponder to a car('s ECU). Some people think a coded transponder, unprogrammed to a car is a virgin key, I'm unsure.

Actually, I'm hijacking Boris' thread so perhaps you'd like do our site a great favour and write a sticky for us all covering the different types found in our Citroens? Please believe me when I say it won't be considered boring detail. Thanks in advance.
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

I have had a key & transponder programmed for my mk2 exclusive at a local locksmith, there where 3 localy who could do it ( MIKE T get in touch i can give details as you are local to me), i had to buy the codes from citroen, the key price was nt much different from there to citroen i think about £60 all done, He thought it was quite a hard key as you cut have to cut the 4 blades ! have had a non remote key made, but i have considered taking the new key apart and fitting the blade & transponder to a spare remote key i have.

I know that virgin transponder is used / new they can not re programmed.
once the key is cut all keys including the original have to programmed to the car.
i had this done recently on my car.
I have delt with transponders etc on fords as well !!!
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
Rockley Lock & Safe

As requested, I have written a brief basic guide to keys on French vehicles.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=33665

Any question ask away.
Rockley Lock & Safe
Vehicle Locksmith
07411 30 66 66
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Rockley Lock & Safe wrote:As requested, I have written a brief basic guide to keys on French vehicles.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=33665

Any question ask away.
Thanks very much! Comments/questions on the way.