fan replasement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

argopanos
My Cars:

fan replasement

Post by argopanos »

hi from greece again.my problem is that i want to replace one of the two fans from a 94 model Xantia.i took the frond bumper out but i cannot see the 3 bolts (the bolts maybe in the inside where i cannot look it)how can i repace them? help please!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The three nuts holding in the fan are behind the fan frame and face the air conditioning condenser. To make matters harder, they are recessed (buried) and there is very little clearance between the fan frame and the condenser radiator.

here is the method. Remove the grille. Remove the fan blades by removing the small screw in the centre of the fan. Caution, this screw is LEFT-HAND THREAD so turn it clockwise to undscrew it!!! Pull off the blades.

Take a cheap 1/4" drive 10mm socket that is short enough to fit between the fan frame and condenser. Then grind two flats on the end of it so that it will fit a 13mm open-ended spanner. Apply the socket to the fan motor nuts and undo them using the 13mm spanner on the end of the socket.

When all three nuts are off, the fan motor will pull forward and can be lifted out. There are no wires to disconnect as the fan motor has a plug attached to it that mates with a socket on the fan frame.

On a MK1 Xantia there is just enough room to extract the fan motor without needing to remove the bumper. On a MK2 there is plenty of room.

Hope that is OK?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

CitroJim wrote:... Caution, this screw is LEFT-HAND THREAD so turn it clockwise to undscrew it!!! Pull off the blades...
Very good explanation CitroJim 8-) That screw caused some delays in my first attempt, since I didn't know about the threads!
Is MK2 similar/same as MK1. I might have some photos :)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

VertVega wrote: Is MK2 similar/same as MK1. I might have some photos :)
Yes, it is very similar. The main difference is that on the MK2 there is no fixed grille as in the MK1 and the fans are hidden behind a black shroud. Once this shroud is removed the job is the same for both except there is rather more room in the MK2 :D

On the MK1 there is only just and just enough room to wriggle the fan motor out between the gap between the fan frame and the bumper...

Any pictures you have will be really appreciated...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

argopanos here are the pics which shows the "hidden" parts of the radiator fans. (Thanks Jim)
This was a part from a car breaker. The rear side of the radiator fan assembly:

Remove the propellers as CitroJim described.
The lower nuts (marked with arrows in above pic) will be the ones covered with lots of rust, more than the other two.
Tip: I applied some WD-40 kind of stuff and it stayed overnight. It makes it easier to remove the nuts (10mm size socket).

-----------------
Edit: one more pic which might give you an idea of the depth where the nut is:
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

to add to this mind the cheese grater (AC condensor) as it loves taking skinn off,

also im sure i managed to remove the nuts with a short socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet, it is a long time ago though,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I have a variation on Jim's technique.

My 10mm socket has been ground to give an external hex at the butt end - think it's 12mm. This works with a slim ratcheting spanner like you can get from quality tool suppliers.

Either way, there is no need to remove the bumper or condenser/radiator.
argopanos
My Cars:

Post by argopanos »

thank you .you were very helpfull.thanks for the photos too!!!!lucky to find site like this!keep the good work