clutch cable clip WOT THE *FRUITCAGE*

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

clutch cable clip WOT THE *FRUITCAGE*

Post by wotwot »

Hi all xantia broke down on me :x my fault should have checked the battery terminals (came loose)quick tighten and all is good.
And 2 days later its broke again this time its the clutch cable or to be more precise the damn clip at the top of the pedal,the nice man at GSF suggested its more likely this rather than the cable (which is what i thought)now i'm not as bendy as I used to be so getting under there was a bit of a faff BUT BUT BUT how the hell are you supposed to get the old one off let alone put a new one back on,the haynes manual is as much use as a kick in the testies.PLEASE PLEASE help
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21201 :)

Its not as bad as it seems.

Although I've never done one, I have done a lot of 405's and that's almost the same. First one took a couple of hours, after doing dozens of them I could do them in about 20 to 30 minutes...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Thanks spider I did search honest but unless you put the right words in you get nothing back :? .looks like i'll be dragging the seat out then as i dont think passing cars will like my door wide open and a pair of flailing legs as they come up my road.Looking at the other replys to richardw the clip was broken and in the footwell, mine is still attached to the pedal has it just come unclipped or maybe its worn and dissengaged.Any more advice would be great.
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

For the price its probably worth replacing the cable aswell, my cable was very stiff making the clutch very hard & probably made the clip snap.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the pivot bolt nut is on the 'right' side so that the bolt can be withdrawn, the job is not that bad. When the nut is on the wrong side then it's a bit of a game...

One very critical point to watch: Keep the drivers door open. If it closes on you when you're upside-down in the footwell then you're trapped...

It is very likely the springy clip part of the clip that holds the cable bullet is bent and distorted. It'll be beyond use.

Make sure the replacement clip comes complete with this spring clip. There was a batch that had this all-important part missing. In fact the clip has separate part numbers for the plastic and metal parts.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Money is at a premium for me at the moment (no work) other wise I would replace cable as well,my clutch is not stiff to push and now it is disconected I can slide it in and out with the finger that i can acually get into the VERY tight space very easily, so cable will have to wait for another day.
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

The clip i got recently didnt have the metal part Jim, Cost £12ish too :shock: i was lucky and my original metal clip was reuseable.

If your not in a mega rush to fix you can get both parts off ebay for half the price, i bought one as a spare.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Xantia-cl ... 230c61ffd7
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Citrojim thanks for that it looks like the metal clip is not in the bag,I pulled the seat out to have a look and it looks like it has been worked on before.Their is a piece of wire holding what looks the metal clip in place.
should the metal clip come with the plastic part or is it a seperate part.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Thanks brigsytt for the link,may have to take this back to GSF and order that instead.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Thanks for the help all back together and working fine.
With the help of 35mm bolt drilled right through end to end with a 5mm bit and then with an angle grinder cut a slot end to end makes for a handy little tool to go over the cable and hold it in place while you lift the pedal up to clip it into place.I have not changed it for the new one aquired from GSF as it does not have the all important metal clip with it,so will buy the new one as suggested by Brigsygtt.Its one of those jobs that can easily wind you up :evil: ,but is easier the second time around.also if you have to do this job yourself check your seat mounts as mine have fractures in the body work and will have to be welded.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

looks like the metal clip is not in the bag
They are indeed supplied individually now, as confirmed by a dealer a couple of years ago.
One very critical point to watch: Keep the drivers door open. If it closes on you when you're upside-down in the footwell then you're trapped...
A very good point, Jim, and one which I hadn't thought of before (I prefer to work with my legs hanging out of the doorway).
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I was goona say -

Hi Graham,
The clutch clip in my MkII 2.0 HDI Xantia went the other day.
I have just got the parts from a Citroën dealer costing £13. It was the metal clip that had worn on my car.
It has taken me just over a hour to do the complete job, so not that hard but fiddly.
I dont think you need a new cable because this is designed as 'the weakest link' in the system.
Start off by removing the lower carpet trim under the dashboard. Then depending on which car you have (how old basically) you may see a black spring that is attached to your clutch pedal, if you have just pop it off with a screwdriver.
Next, you will need a 13mm ring spanner and a 1/4" drive socket with a short extension bar. There is access to get the socket onto the bolt from the cenre console side. Ring spanner on the nut.
Undo and remove the pedal by wriggling it out.
look or even take a photo of your clutch pedal.
Remove the old white clip noting which way it fits to the pedal and fit the new one.
Disconnect the clutch cable at the gearbox end (a simple pull where it fits the arm).
Pull the cable inside the car and pull it downwards so the you can push it in the new clip. Once in push the metal clip so it locks the cable in place.
Thread the whole pedal back up into place (part way you need to pull the cable in the engine bay to tack up the slack).
Then just refite in reverse order. Use a bit of Bluetack to hold the nut in the ring spanner.
Pull the cable in the engine bay and put it back into the clutch bracket on the gearbox.
Make sure you try the pedal a few times and if it is hard you havent fitted it to the clutch bracket on the gearbox properly.
Job done. Test drive time.

Good luck
Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Good description, Wrinklett.
An alternative method is to assemble the clip to the pedal, refit the pedal, then push the pedal sharply upwards while an assistant holds the clutch end of the cable inner. The nipple should snap into the clip.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, good timing as well :) I've been helping a CCC member renew his clip over the 'phone today. He asked the question of does the metal clip go on after the cable nipple is up inside the clip?

Your post confirms I gave him the right advice dnsey! Thanks for confirming what I thought :D

Next month in the CCC 'Citroenian' magazine you can read all about Xantia clutches and there's a fair bit on clutch clips...

If you think that hydraulic clutches are an answer to all your prayers after battling a clutch clip then think again :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

wotwot,

good to hear you sorted it if you can overcome that job you can cope with most other jobs.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.