AL4 Ageing...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

AL4 Ageing...

Post by addo »

Not sure if I'm having kittens or not, but to my ears the Xantia's autobox made some different and "not good" noises on a steep slow grind uphill today.

This was minutes after one of it's "Oh no; I'm in third and I want to be in second - WHAM! :shock: " moments there the whole car pitches from stem to stern with the force of a sudden kickdown at light throttle. This is less than 50K miles into a rebuilt box, which admittedly has been well-used.

Would be bad timing if it breaks in the next three months, but if/when it fails this will probably become the rebuild thread.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hmm, that's an odd one Adam. Maybe just one of thosde odd occasions when the 'box decides for reasons all of its own that it fancies doing a rough change and unscheduled kickdown.

Hopefully all that it was.

What was carried out to it on the rebuild 50K ago?

Seems the AL4 has an appetite for electrovalves. This symptoms would appear to point toward pressure regulation issues...

It'll be very interesting to follow an AL4 rebuild...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Hopefully it's nothing serious, but I had one of those AL4 gearboxes a few years ago, & an oil change works wonders on them. The IMPORTANT thing is to refill with the proper transmission oil which is - Esso ATF 4HP 20AL4. Anything else is inviting trouble.
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

jmd wrote:Hopefully it's nothing serious, but I had one of those AL4 gearboxes a few years ago, & an oil change works wonders on them. The IMPORTANT thing is to refill with the proper transmission oil which is - Esso ATF 4HP 20AL4. Anything else is inviting trouble.
I've wondered about this for my C5. If the manuals say they are 'sealed for life', at what point should you consider changing oils?
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

"Life" means product designed life which is generally reckoned to be about 4 yrs or 80K "ish".

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Change at about every 40,000 miles.
When I changed the oil at 103,000 km the old oil didn’t stink of cat’s pee, so had been changed before with non-genuine oil.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

cachaciero wrote:"Life" means product designed life which is generally reckoned to be about 4 yrs or 80K "ish"
4 years?!!!! They are very naughty peeps
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Perhaps the definition of 'life' = 'warranty life'
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

spider wrote:Perhaps the definition of 'life' = 'warranty life'
What if the Establishment applied an arbitrary contractual figure to human life? Eek! Doesn't bear thinking about.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

'Life' according to ZF in relation to the 4HP20 is 10 years or 100,000 miles.

They recommend that after 10 years the oil should be changed.....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:'Life' according to ZF in relation to the 4HP20 is 10 years or 100,000 miles.

They recommend that after 10 years the oil should be changed.....
:o

To be fair Jim, I know you would not leave it ten years ;) , and this recommendation is from the same who suggest 20k (or 12k for some) oil change intervals.

I think if I had a 4HP20 once I was initially happy the oil was good, I would want to do it about every three or four years or say every 35,000. I'll admit I do this with manual transmissions too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

My V6 is rapidly approaching 120k miles, probably go over next week. I've changed the autobox oil four times since I've had it (got it at 50k miles) but I drive with clenched buttocks waiting for those flashing lights. I hope it will keep going at least 'til next summer at which time I might be lining Jims pockets :wink:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: I think if I had a 4HP20 once I was initially happy the oil was good, I would want to do it about every three or four years or say every 35,000. I'll admit I do this with manual transmissions too.
That's a good policy Andy :D I changed mine 12K after the rebuild and it was too soon really but an oil change never hurts...
Stempy wrote:I hope it will keep going at least 'til next summer at which time I might be lining Jims pockets
No worries :) All I'll say is that at the first sign of trouble, stop. If it makes a strange noise or slips. Stop immediately and bring the gearbox to me. It'll be easier to fix for me and cheaper for you :lol:
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No worries Jim; I'll UPS it straight to you when it carks.

Oh wait, you were talking to Stempy. :lol:

I had the oil changed for more of the correct stuff about 35K kilometres ago, before I had a Lexia or spare fluid. What is interesting, is that myself and both the other Australians with AL4 driven cars, have all had the boxes rebuilt by the same mob - yet experience similar ongoing issues. I have to wonder if they're being reassembled with some unkowingly wrong specs.

The 3-2 lurchdown is very unnerving the first time - you expect the car to stop abruptly with the engine/box in a puddle of oil and smashed motor mount on the road beneath it. Real-time datalogging with G-forces would show an alarming spike!
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

CitroJim wrote:and bring the gearbox to me.
Where are you based? How much for an AL4 oil change?
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR