Dashboard Lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

voodoo101

Dashboard Lights

Post by voodoo101 »

I have just picked up a 1995 Citroen Synergie 1.9td SX with service history and all books. It's done over 200,000 miles but drives well and is clean inside and out apart from an oil leak which I have been told is the rocker cover gasket.

My question is which dashboard lights should be on when you turn the ignition to position 2. According to the manual the engine auto diagnosis light should be on and then go off, however I have never seen this go on.

Is this an error in the book or should this light come on and is just not working?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Either the bulb has blown or it's been removed because the light was on. If the car is running well I wouldn't worry about it, there isn't much, if anything, in the way of electronics on that engine anyway.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

well actually it depends if the engine has an ecu or not.

i think in 95 they didnt on the td, later on it did...
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
voodoo101

Post by voodoo101 »

Thanks for the help. Think I will just forget about it as the engine runs fine.

Never had a car with a warning light that before so it will make no difference to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have a look at the front of the Injection Pump.

If it has a cold start electrovalve that looks like the one in the picture below (pointed to by the red arrow) then it won't have an ECU and will not therefore have an Engine Management Light.

Also, if no ECU, the pump will have a cam-operated microswitch on the top of the throttle spindle.

Another possible way to tell is if the car has no coded keypad. These came along (generally, but not always) with the ECU controlled pump.

Lastly, look at No.3 injector (couning from the flywheel end of the engine). If it has a thin black wire coming out of it, then you have an ECU.

It is also possible it once had an ECU controlled pump and this has been swapped for a non-ECU controlled pump. In which case the EM light would have been disabled.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...