Wiper problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

i3
My Cars:

Wiper problem

Post by i3 »

having an issue with the front wipers on th xant... can not put the front wipers into intermittent mode, it just won't do anything if stalk put into intermittent mode.... possibly, th wiper may twitch a little, thats about it...
however, it works fine in other speeds, and, strangely, if the stalk is held between intermittent mode and off (or constant speed 1), then it will function in intermittent mode...
not sure what exactly is going on here...
craigbooth

Post by craigbooth »

hi sorry i dont have a diagram for the xantia but if similar to the c5 then it could well be worth checking the stalk its self. it is only a thin copper contact that operates the stalk so if you have a button on the end of the stalk then it can snap the copper ring and make a mess of the settings.
be carefull when taking to bits there are a couple of springs inside that bake it click between settings, remove the button on the end first and that will show a plastic clip that can be squeezed to relise the end of the stalk
C5 2003 2.0 hdi SX 180'000
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

May be this thread would be useful. Similar problem in mine where ---> windscreen washers didn't work <---

If you open the wiper stalk beware of copper contacts with springs under them (see last pic above link).
It might be difficult to re-assemble.

PS: Intermittent wipe is controlled by a rain sensor in mine.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

ahh,,very useful..thanks much! so...i should just replace the stalk then?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

, I hope the solution is as "easy" as in my case :)
Keep in mind that there might be several others causes for that problem :-k
- relay (mini relays seen in one of the pics)
- rain sensor
- wiper stalk
- other
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

dont think mine has a rain sensor...? how do i check the relay? bear in mind the other wipe functions operate as usual, the problem is just with the intermittent mode...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

i3 wrote:dont think mine has a rain sensor...? how do i check the relay? bear in mind the other wipe functions operate as usual, the problem is just with the intermittent mode...
the_weaver had good instructions, I'll quote from him :wink:
the_weaver wrote:...I suppose it could be a relay problem then. You might want to try re-seating the relay in it's socket. Disconnect the battery first, to be safe. The relay might be under the steering wheel, to the right, under the cover. Operate the wipers, washers etc and listen to hear if you can hear a relay operating. If you put your finger on the relays you might be able to feel one operating. Then, disconnect the battery and re-seat the relay. Don't pull it all the way out, just moving it in and out a bit might do the trick if it's a bad connection. ...
from my experience:
VertVega wrote:...As the_weaver suggested I found the relay(s) activated with the washer stalk signals.
There are four black mini relays under the dashboard. It is difficult to
tell exactly which one of the four ticks with different washer stalk signals....
Check the pic where the relays are seen. Each mini relay has a "hook" which retains it in its place.
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

ok...forgive my ignorance, but where do i find that relay panel?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

No problems :), but unfortunately I have a left hand drive Xantia :? and in mine they are just above and left side of the clutch pedal.

In a RHD they should also be on the driver's side and they should be seen after removing the narrow and long trim right above the pedals.