citroen xantia hdi 90hp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scottishpaul

citroen xantia hdi 90hp

Post by scottishpaul »

need to replace front pipe but cant access the bolts from the top manage to get up under the car and get socket and bar up to the bolts but turning on the top side any idea what i need to do to stop these bolts turning or what i need to move struggling for access under to get hand up and get something on them
pug 306 -turbo d 1993 -2001 xantia hdi 90 bhp -2000 partner van 2.0 hdi 90bhp
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I know your problem well Paul :twisted: You just try the same on a V6 :lol:

Now, I assume you're meaning the exhaust manifold to cat joint. In which case, what you need is a small 10mm spanner, suitably cranked, and a 1/4" drive 10mm socket on a small headed ratchet.

Then working from the top, reach down and use the 10mm cranked spanner to counter-hold the bolt head whilst undoing the nut with the ratchet. It can be done one-handed but it's much easier with an assistant. One of you to counter-hold and the other to undo the nut.

Support the exhaust so that it does not drop as the nuts loosen. Be ready to catch the nut, cup washer and spring as the nut comes off.

For the cranked spanner, I bent a cheap 10mm ring until it was just at the right angle.

Good luck, it is a fun job :roll:

Reassembling is a whole different ball-game, getting the spring, cup washer and nut on the bolt all at the same time is a challenge. The trick is to use a piece of packing to prevent the bolt moving upward until the nut has caught. then the cranked spanner and ratchet will do the rest.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

For the OS you can reach in through the wheel arch - but you do need long arms to get the spanner on, and turn the ratchet at the same time! Alternatively you can get at it from in front of the subframe. The NS is easier! Whatever you do, don't cut the bolts off - been there done that, and the aftermath is not funny :twisted:

Xantia HDi Exhaust fun
Richard W
scottishpaul

Post by scottishpaul »

i will give that a shot waiting on this dreadful snow going away first ive got xantia front pipe from earlyer xantia non cat model its the same shape ,no cat so will go miles better :wink: thanks for ur help i will give it a shot ...paul
scottishpaul

Post by scottishpaul »

RichardW wrote:For the OS you can reach in through the wheel arch - but you do need long arms to get the spanner on, and turn the ratchet at the same time! Alternatively you can get at it from in front of the subframe. The NS is easier! Whatever you do, don't cut the bolts off - been there done that, and the aftermath is not funny :twisted:

Xantia HDi Exhaust fun
thanks for your help cars now sorted few wee cuts and drips off red stuff but jobs done the pipe that was on the car had a split at the cat so i thought want to remove it anyway ,early xantia front pipe was straight fit ,goes like the wind now with out cat too ,many thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Good work.... the 90's are 'better' because they use the smaller bore pipe so you can retrofit an older non-cat one. 110's use a larger bore pipe that can't be (easily) exchanged. And is 'kin dear!!
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Thats right, as the 90bhp HDi uses a different turbo to the 110bhp, it has a smaller outlet same as the XUD TD engines, so the pipes are a straight swap...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto