306 aux belt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pug-nut

306 aux belt

Post by pug-nut »

Hello, I am trying to change an alternator on a Sreg pug306 1.9 diesel PAS. It has eccentric belt tensioner...I cant undo the allun hex in the centre/off centre...I have been bashing away with impact driver and am now begining to damage it. Am I missing something...is it left thread? Any help would be really gratefully recieved.. cheers.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

you may not need to release the manul adjuster, as you should also have a spring loaded tensioner which has a 3/8th drive square hole in its mounting arm,

sometime it is necesery to place a jack under the engine and remove the top engine mount to get better access, or at least from the top anyway,

whilst your in there look at the angle this tensioner is sitting, because it is quite common for its mountting arm bearing to be shot, this will cause it to lean over then in turn can allow the aux belt to fail and go up inside the cam belt area, which will also cause that to fail,

regards malcolm
pug-nut

thanks

Post by pug-nut »

dude, that makes good sense... I dont know how to identify the sprung tensioner and mounting arm... should I remove PAS pump and engine mount to locate them? thanks for your reply, much appreciated..
Last edited by pug-nut on 04 Dec 2010, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no worrys

the tensioner is down the end of the enngine and along side the chassis rail, and on a XANTIA its the one just below the hydralic pump which from memory this is situated were your power steering pump is, so the tensioner just below that,

you get at the 3/8th square hole down between the engine and chassis rail,

if you have a mirror and a tourch you should be able to fine it,

regards malcolm
pug-nut

306 aux belt

Post by pug-nut »

thanks again for that, will have a go and get back to you, cheers mate...
PS can you attach pics to these forum posts, it could really help?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: 306 aux belt

Post by myglaren »

pug-nut wrote:thanks again for that, will have a go and get back to you, cheers mate...
PS can you attach pics to these forum posts, it could really help?
Yes!

Please limit them to max 700px wide though.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Are you sure this one has a spring loaded tensioner? As my 405 didn't, and as I recall the belt I bought also did the 306. The tensioner bolt on mine was also super tight, but came off without too much fuss. Probably a paranoid garage has whacked it on worried that it would come loose :( Have you tried heating it a bit? Plusgas/WD40? Could you get a set of mole grips in there?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
pug-nut

to citronut

Post by pug-nut »

do appreciate your further time on this, I have attempted to locate sprung tensioner but no luck.... I have uploaded pictures at:

http://s1088.photobucket.com/home/pug-nut/index

do my labels match what you've said or am I missing still something? As yet I cant find any tensioner arm or 3/8" hole between engine and chassis

all the best..

pug-nut

to evilally

Post by pug-nut »

thanks, have been soaking overnight, I will return to hitting shortly!! ug
pug-nut

to myglaren

Post by pug-nut »

have tried to link photo bucket site to posting on forum but could not follow instruction because the thumbnail/screenshot: "photobucket posting options" is not anything like the screen I get. Check following link:

could you identify which section is set to allow links to forums?

Thanks, p-n.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As far as I know, the Allen bolt will need to be loosened so the new belt can be properly tensioned.

Bashing it or impacting is not a good method. What you need is steady high torque.

Get hold of an Allen bit that can be placed into a 1/2" drive socket adapter and then use a breaker-bar on it. Go easy, not putting too much force on it and the bolt will yield without damage.

Torque applied at care on the end of a long bar always wins out over bashing or struggling with a short bar.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the first picy in your link shows the spring loaded tensioner not the excentric one as you labled it, and that is the spring you rightly indicated,

the 3/8th drive hole is square is on the braket/arm that tensioner is atatchet to, if memory serves it just to the rear of the tensioner pully in your first picy,

adn i agree with Jim on the NO bashing aproach, but it is a torx bit not an allan on an S reg 306,

also yes it does have the sping loaded tensioner the later 306's,

also i would not advise heat as you could destroy the bearing and any plastic or rubber in the area,

regards malcolm
pug-nut

to citronut and citrojim

Post by pug-nut »

thanks guys again for your time, I have used a mix of advice and have got the eccentric tensioner to loosen.... wonderful, thankyou. I proceeded with caution using a very long bar and 1/2" socket monted torx bit... I did wonder why the allun was wobbly, I'd assumed that I'd begun to damge it... first class honors to you guys...I wasnt even sure if that was the right bolt at first, then I really thought I was bound to destroy it... thanks M. for the correction on the pics I see the mistake but thought it was an idler... will check for the 3/8" hole...have done more aux belts than I care to think about so hopefully I wont run in to any more daft problems...all the best.. P-N.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: to myglaren

Post by myglaren »

pug-nut wrote:have tried to link photo bucket site to posting on forum but could not follow instruction because the thumbnail/screenshot: "photobucket posting options" is not anything like the screen I get. Check following link:

could you identify which section is set to allow links to forums?

Thanks, p-n.
Photobucket have recently revised their interface. The link you want is either the "IMGcode" or if the image is too big then click the "Share To" - see more... link, then on the second tab "Get Link Code" the fourth link down (clickable thombnail)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry for saying it was an Allen bolt Pug-Nut :oops:

I'm so used to the Xantia where that bolt is an Allen head....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...