Leaky LHM on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the moog
My Cars:

Leaky LHM on Xantia

Post by the moog »

Hi

I bought a Xantia a couple of weeks ago. Everything is fine with it apart from it has got a LHM leak. I replaced the front sphere last weekend thinking it was that but it hasnt made a difference. It seems to be from the accumulator area but I cant identify it that easily.

Any ideas what it could be?
Only downside is that the snow is starting to set in so rolling around in the snow is not my idea of fun
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi, welcome to Hydraulic owner ship..

Its quite likely then, the END Seal on the regulator unit could have gone, this is a result of NOT changing the regulator sphere and running it "Flat" with no gas in the Sphere. Of course, this is a previous owner error, not yours.

Try Martin at Plieadies Hydraulics.. for a replacement. There are topics on here about rebuilding the regulators, (I think), but thats down to how skilled you are.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
the moog
My Cars:

Post by the moog »

The sphere was definitely flat as the new one makes everything much more bouncy.

I need to replace the rest but I was trying to work out whether the Xanita is worth saving. This is one of many niggles including the windscreen defroster vents not working so thougth I would see if it can be easily fixed or whether it is becoming a money pit.

Dont really want to rebuild stuff, would rather replace it. Any idea of cost?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Honestly, it's impossible to accurately diagnose without more info, and possibly good pictures.

Leaks around the regulator area can come from sphere seals (uncommon), weepy regulators (slightly common), fractured PAS line (ditto) and reg blowoff hose (quite common).

Xantias are the last of the "simple" cars (pre multiplex, and with 100% hydromechanical linkages for all suspension/steering aspects). So long as they're not rusty, they're good cars. Simple to repair if you don't try to bodge, parts still available and a comfy car that eats up the miles. I've done well over 900 miles in a day driving solo, and experienced no fatigue due to ergonomics, nor a sore bum from bad seats.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

addo wrote:Honestly, it's impossible to accurately diagnose without more info, and possibly good pictures. ...
I agree. This is what I believe ---> "A Picture Worth a Thousand Words".

xantia (or hydraulic cars in general ) are not the easiest but they are dream cars if you take care of them 8-)
It depends so much on the car's history, previous owner(s) and etc. that is it a money pit or a big save.

What model Xantia, petrol/diesel, engine, year, .... did you buy?
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
the moog
My Cars:

Post by the moog »

97 Xantia Estate Diesel. Loads of little niggles such as rear boot doesnt lock, interior lights dont work, windscreen demister flaps dont open. But aside from that it looks and drives well enough. Tyres are knackered as well (but good excuse to stick Winter tyres on it)

Already serviced it and noticed an air leak which is now fixed. Will try and get a pic once weather clears up a bit. Miserable cold and snowing.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Welcome to Xantia ownership!

As Addo says "Xantias are the last of the "simple" cars. So long as they're not rusty, they're good cars. Simple to repair if you don't try to bodge, parts still available and a comfy car that eats up the miles."

I'd add:

- relatively cheap to service/repair (provided you shop around for parts - GSF are a good source),
- long distance cruising in comfort as fast as is safe for both license and limb - we (a middled-aged couple) do a regular 130-mile trip to rural Devon in 2¼ hrs or less; leaving after work and arriving in time for dinner without feeling shattered,
- self-levelling suspension with a ride that improves(!) with increasing load right up to a full load and a full tank (60L),
- excellent road-holding (even on poor surfaces),
- phenomenally powerful brakes.

Most mechanics (including Citroen agents) don't like Xantias because they're "complicated" and "weird" - in reality, blind xenophobia (fear of strangers). As you clearly know how to do your own servicing, there's almost nothing that you can't do yourself on your Xantia with a little guidance from knowledgeable forum members.

You might like to add details of your car to your signature so that we don't have to keep asking for Year, Engine, Model (LX, SX, VSX), Body.

Your non-locking tailgate could be a broken wire in the area of the hinge, but just as likely it needs lubricating. Simple enough job, but be very careful how you remove and refit the plastic waterseal otherwise you'll have a lake (ice-rink) in the back footwell.
Last edited by Old-Guy on 30 Nov 2010, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

on fitting the new reg sphere did you place the seal into its seat in the kneck of the regulator, and smear some citro blood over its mateing surface before screwing the new sphere into place,

if not you might have damaged the seal

were abouts are you apart from in the cold,

regards malcolm
the moog
My Cars:

Post by the moog »

Will do.

Yes I read the sticky on here so did that with the seal and dipped it in fresh fluid before fitting it in the groove and then screwing on the sphere.

I live near Heathrow. Found a Citroen specilist in Iselworth so booked it in there as I don tthink I am going to get a chance to look at it before the weekend.

I have had Xantias before but this is the first one I have needed to tinker with. Bought it to run on Veg oil which it does fantastically well! :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm very much with Addo and Guy, the Xantia was the last of the old-school Citroens that are repairable relatively easily. They hold no surprises...

If it's the end of the regulator that's leaking then the best option is to go to a scrappy and appropriate one from a similarly aged Xantia. They're all the same.

I'd be surprised if it was leaking badly from the end as this is a fault most often seen on a V6...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ive seen some very leaky Regulators on TD Xantias!! Its harder to hear a Tick Rate on the regulators on TD Xantias.... so I guess the sphere gets neglected more frequently...

Every leakey regulator Ive seen has had a Flat sphere on them!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto