C3 Struggling on Cold Start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroenWill

C3 Struggling on Cold Start

Post by CitroenWill »

I have a 2005 1.4 petrol Citroen C3.

As the weather has been getting colder, it's becoming more and more difficult to start the car smoothly.

When I start the car in the morning, the revs go up an down (Hunting?) by themselves, sometimes for a few seconds sometimes for what seems like up to a minute, before eventually it 'catches on' and the car drives normally.

Sometimes if I manually rev the car after starting the engine, this will resolve the problem without me having to wait for it to catch on itself.

The car itself drives perfectly otherwise.

What's the likely cause?

Many thanks in advance.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There are two likely causes for this Will.

Either the idle control valve is sticky or the coolant temperature sensor is at fault.

My feeling is the former. On your car I'm not at all sure of the exact details of it but you can try removing it and cleaning it with carb cleaner. This seems to give at best a temporary respite but at least it will indicate if this is the problem. If so, then best replace it.

The coolant temperature sensor may be feeding the engine ECU duff information as to how cold it is. The engine may be trying to start with too weak a mixture.

A quick diagnostic session will test the health of the sensor very quickly.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The coolant temp sensors are not terribly strong on these, (TU around this year) although when they fail they usually short (so you have a 'full' reading and a flashing stop light) , so I would agree with Jim's suggestion the idle control valve is more likely.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroenWill

Post by CitroenWill »

Thanks guys!

Could you give me an indication of where the ICV is and what it looks like?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

There is no ICV or stepper motor on this engine as it has a motorised throttle butterfly & that controls idle speed. This would probablty be a bit too expensive to just replace without getting it checked properly.
CitroenWill

Post by CitroenWill »

wheeler wrote:There is no ICV or stepper motor on this engine as it has a motorised throttle butterfly & that controls idle speed. This would probablty be a bit too expensive to just replace without getting it checked properly.
Thanks Wheeler, are you sure?

I've been looking at a few ICVs which are apparently for the C3, so you might have just saved me some cash.

I'm really reluctant to take it back to the garage because I've been having problems with this car for the past few months and its getting quite pricey. In the past few months I have replaced a fuel injector, ignition coil, spark plugs and alternator all at the dealer.

Do you think I'll have no choice but to take it to an expert?

Am I doing any harm to the car if I put up with it for a while?

Thanks again.
CitroenWill

Post by CitroenWill »

Bump (Sorry)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

CitroenWill wrote:
Thanks Wheeler, are you sure?

I've been looking at a few ICVs which are apparently for the C3, so you might have just saved me some cash.
If it's a 1.4 then it 100% definitely doesent have a ICV/stepper motor. The earlier 1.1 engine had a stepper motor.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As Jim has suggested, introducing your C3 to a Lexia diagnostic computer will be the best thing you can do at the moment.
It won't fix your problems but will very probably either point to where the problem lies or give you a better indication of how to proceed.
There may even be the possibility for a few tweaks to improve things.

There are quite a few Lexia owning members who will be only too pleased to accommodate you.

Have a look here to locate someone close to you and then make contact with them via PM.
Ian Malpass
My Cars: C3 1.4 Petrol

Re: C3 Struggling on Cold Start

Post by Ian Malpass »

Hi Im new to the group & have a C3 that hates to start on a morning! I;ve read the past reasons but wondering if anyone has come across a simple reason for the C3 not wanting to start 1st in the morning? The garage says it could be the petrol pump! but Im not convinced as it starts All day once its been moving with no starting problems. Ive changed the Temp sensor!! Cheers
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: C3 Struggling on Cold Start

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Haven't noticed you around in a while Spider, nice to see you posting :)
Puxa